What do you do when you granddaughter has found her "private parts?"

My sisters granddaughter has found her private parts & is very curious.She's asking me,but she's got 2 adult daughters.I had 3 boys.I have a granddaughter but she lived in Orlando,Florida when she went thru that stage.My sis has her grandbabies alot.So.....

bvannkissy

Asked by bvannkissy at 1:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nothing. Children of this age discover themselves - it's perfectly normal and natural. I would simply remind her that we don't do that in public "these are Private parts for Private times" is what I tell my kids. IF your sister is seeing strange behavior or thinks there is some kind of abuse going on, I would say that's very very different and she needs to talk to the parents and possibly take her to a doctor. But if all the little girl is doing is touching herself, there isn't anything wrong or abnormal with that...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• rkoloms, No disrespect but telling her that they should only be touched in private may send that wrong msg to the kid. She may interpret it as it being ok for someone to touch her if nobody sees, I think I know what you were trying to say but it just sounded weird.
    lsa0919

Answer by lsa0919 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Depending on how old she is, it is just curiosity. She has found "something" down there!! My dd is 15 months and when her diaper is off, she is constantly grabbing at herself! Its something new and will be grown out of! Don't scold or punish her for it, that could lead to bigger problems down the road! GL
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You smile and tell her they are to stay private!

Answer by older at 1:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Just tell her what she wants to know. You don't have to give the adult version but by 2 my DD knew what a vulva, vagina, and clitoris was. She doesn't know what their use is (that will come later) but i want her to know her anatomy and be able to tell me when something is wrong and with what part without having to go on a scavenger hunt on her body.

Also by being open about her body, I want her to know that there is nothing to be ashamed of with her body.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i say be completely honest, its far easier like that. My 3 year old discoverd hers a few months ago, Now I just tell her its her girl part and its what makes her a princess,..she calls it her coodykat! hey, if it works for her it works for me. so now when she is calling out the parts of her body she includes it and moves on. They are curious but it doesnt mean that they care much.
    lsa0919

Answer by lsa0919 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You teach her the proper names and functions (at her level); explain that they are hers, and should only be touched in private.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would not make a big deal of it. if she is grabbing or touching herself around other people, i would tell her that is for private time only by herself. and not to be done around other people. and that only SHE is allowed to touch her parts and she is to tell if someone else touches her parts.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• TO ISA...I NEVER SAID SHE CAN ONLY BE TOUCHEDIN PRIVATE.THIS IS THE REASON I THINK WE ALL SHOULD READ THE QUESTION AT LEAST TWICE.. & I WAS ASKING FOR MY SISTER.I TOLD HER I BELONG TO THIS REALLY COOL WEBSITE & IF SHE HAD ANY QUESTIONS,I'D TRY TO FIND OUT FOR HER SINE SHE DOESN'T HAVE A COMPUTER & LIMITED ACCESS.SO... NO DISRESPECT TO YOU BUT ,PLEASE READ THE QESTION & FULLY UNDERSTAND IT BEFORE YOU ANSWER IT.THANKS!! MY SISTER THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE HELP ALSO. : )
    bvannkissy

Comment by bvannkissy (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Jul. 19, 2010