Native Americans traveling under their own passport, thoughts?

NEW YORK - The U.S. government has agreed to allow a native American lacrosse team to travel to England for a world championship competition under passports issued by the Iroquois Confederacy, a team spokeswoman said Wednesday.

Tonya Gonnella Frichner, a member of the Onondaga Nation who works with the team, said the State Department dropped a demand that the team travel using higher-security U.S. passports. The players regard U.S. government-issued documents as an attack on their identity.

The team still needs British visas to attend the Lacrosse World Championship in Manchester, England. The British government said previously it wouldn't give the players visas if they could not guarantee they'd be allowed to go home.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_on_sp_ot/us_lacrosse_iroquois_passports

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Just another example of liber divisiveness. How are we suppose to be "One country under God........." when people are working diligently to make sure there is a definite separation of all groups? But, this is the progressive way. Just ask Pres. Wilson. He was the master of segregation, and the beat goes on................

first of all one nation under god? these are AMERICAN INDIANS. who have thier own country WITHIN the USA . thier own beliefs, customs, and laws even. perhaps you should learn more about it before you swallow more shoe leather there.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• UpSheRises: No news flash. I live in NC with a reservation, casinos in a state that doesn't allow that type of gambling, and the knowledge of the sovereignty of the reservation. Why would you assume I didn't understand. Oh, because I think this is a push for more divisiveness? You took a flying leap on this one. I understand it completely. I've understood it since I was 10 which was 41 years ago. That is the first time I visited the Cherokee Reservation in the mountains of NC.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Oh, I didn't say PBO was segregating anyone. I said the progressives were starting with Pres. Wilson.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Why do people have to make things so complicated? To make a statement? Great. Statement made.....you have your own passports....but are STILL American citizens. I may just not fully understand this matter and am willing to admit that :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Newsflash Jesse...Native American Reservations are seperate bodies of governement. Obama isn't segregating anybody.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• What auto said!
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I'm confused. Are we discussing passports from the US giving its citizens passports that separate and I get called a "usual suspect", "bitchy" and a vote down for an opinion. Interesting twist on a discussion. Nice.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I heard an interview with one of the men this morning. They were aware that it was an issue before they left and have beed working with the state department for a long time to get this solved.

He explained that the gov't offered to issue them the US passports and the group declined, not that the state department tried to force them to use them. He said the state department explained that they would have a problem otherwise and they decided to take thier chances.

I guess i have to support them. I don't understand why thier passports arent valid if they were issues by a recognized government body.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Audio, I agree that this country was imposed upon others, however that is the history of Germany, Britain, parts of Africa - and not only SA, etc. At this point, the Iroquois enjoy the fruits of the country as well as the negative sides, of which I acknowledge they are handed a larger share - however, they are citizens of the US and would be treated as such in terms of international negotiation and protection provided by US Embassies while abroad.

They should have a US Passport.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2010