How do you paint two rooms different colors when they share the same wall?

My kitchen and my living room are side by side and they share one wall. There is a break in the wall between the rooms and it's a door that leads to our laundry room and spare room. There's a little space above the door that would need to be painted. We are thinking about painting the kitchen a light yellow or light blue, but we have no idea what to paint the living room. We were thinking either a blue or green. I just really don't know what color to paint above the door.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You could make that wall your accent wall for both rooms. And since you are leaning towards blue for both rooms, make that wall a shade of blue. then the other walls in the kitchen yellow and the others in teh livingroom green. I think accent walls are a wonderful way to make a room pop and add some personality!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You'll probably need to paint both rooms colors that blend nicely with each other, and make the "shared" wall a solid co-ordinating color.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 1:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I agree. Make it a shared accent wall, and then paint the other walls in the separate rooms different but still coordinating colors.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Put some painters tape down and paint half of the space one color and the other half the other color. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Your best bet is to have that one wall be an accent wall with a colour that goes well with both the yellow in your kitchen and the blue or green in your living room.

You could also get a picture frame made into the size of the space above the door and get a picture or even make a painting using the paint colours you choose for each room and hang it above the door, blocking out that space. Then it will have the colours from both rooms and it will cover the space.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Our house is like that but we don't have a door in the middle. Our kitchen is a dark green, well, it's a bright green but it's dark and our family room is a few shades lighter. We used the kitchen color for the entire wall and I think it turned out quite nice.

Here is a picture that sorta shows how it goes.

http://s745.photobucket.com/albums/xx99/theheerans/House/?action=view¤t=IMG_4463.jpg
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 1:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Oh, it did turn out nice! I like that. :)
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2010