Do any of your young children bite thier nails? When did they start?

My son bites his nails, and he started doing it when he was around 18months old. I would look back in the back seat and he'd be in his carseat biting his nails. I just always thought it was so odd that he started a habit like this at such a young age, his Dad does too, but I was married to him for 4 years before I even knew he did, because he never does it around anyone, so it's not like my son saw him and was playing copycat. I've just been thinking about it and wonder if it truly could be something he could have been predisposed to genetically or something. Sounds silly, but it's very strange for a baby to do this too, so what do you think? He's 3.5 now and it's slowed down, but he does still do it.

AshleyBDG

Asked by AshleyBDG at 1:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My 5 year old son does and he started it when he was 3. I don't know if it is because he sees my husband do it sometimes, or if it is his way of dealing with anxiety because that's mostly when he does it, not that he has a lot of things to be anxious about. Sometimes out of boredom too.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Dh is a nail biter and my oldest just started his habit. He doesn't like when he gets hang nails and he will bite to get them off. It drives me nuts! I don't know if he seen my husband do it cause he usually does in when he is trying to get a hang nail or when the boys are in bed. We ask him to keep his hands out of his mouth and he will but ten min later he is back to it we keep reminding him. sometimes he will do all day without doing it but then is back to it the next day. He could be doing it cause he seen his dad and your husband didn't realize he was doing it infront of him?
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 1:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• He is 2 years old, but it is possible he seen his daddy.
    Claudiomom

• my daughter started when she was 3..right ater she met her dad for the first time...and everytime his name was brought up, or she was about to go with him for the weekend, she would start biting..it broke my heart!! she HATED going with him..but it was court ordered so i didnt have a choice :(
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I was curious if anyone else's kids started as babies. It's interesting.
    AshleyBDG

Comment by AshleyBDG (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• neither of my girls do and I will do as much as I can to keep it that way because I started doing it myself at about 4 years old and I still do it!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2010