Breastfeeding

My son is 3 weeks old and started out BF. I switched to FF when we came home for various reasons. I have been trying to pump but get 1/2 oz. every 4 hours maybe. I can't get him to latch on as i bleed from my nipples when he does. Any suggestions to build up my milk supply. I add the 1/2 oz to his formula atm.

carmadsmom

Asked by carmadsmom at 1:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it may not be that you have a lack of supply but are not able to pump. Most women have problems with pumping and keep in mind that the amount you get with a pump is NOT comparable to how much baby gets out of you. have you tried a nipple shield? It may help with the bleeding.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• ditto. pumping is often not able to get out the same amount a sucking baby would. nipple shields also are a wonder like the PP said
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• ALOT of my friends have had to quit BF b/c they just cant get anything out :(
    AshleaaKayy

Answer by AshleaaKayy at 2:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• contact you local LLL FOR HELP asap! www.llli.org
    visit www.kellymom.com
    visit www.drjacknewman.com
    visit maximiziing pumping production
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• What pump? Some are known nipple shredders.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Thanks for all the comments. The pump doesn't bother me it is him latching on. I have been to the lactation consultant at the hospital numerous times and she says he latches on great, but I get blood blisters and bleed even between feedings. I have been using the lanolin cream and the "soothies" they give you at the hospital to help with the pain but nothing is helping and even the lactation consultant is dumbfounded. She says his palate is high and that could be causing some issues but she isn't sure. I asked her about the shield and she said it won't help because he is latching properly. I am using the pump they gave me at the hospital. It is an advent one but a hand not auto.
    carmadsmom

Comment by carmadsmom (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• get yourself a second opinion on the latch.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Like mentioned above, pumping is no indication of supple. A pump and a baby remove milk differently, and your body responds differently to both. Additionally, babies tummy is VERY small, you really don't need a ton of milk to fill their tummy.

hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 3:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• As for latch... Try normalized breastfeeding. Insteatd of you holding baby straight across your body, sit semi reclined (not shirt, no bra) and place baby in the center of your chest. Baby will lean to one side choosing a breast. Then allow baby to latch them self on, staying the semi reclined position, letting your body hold the weight of baby, not your arms. Make sure baby is free to move his arms as he feels necessary. Additionally having him naked or in just a diaper on your chest will help to promote milk supply. Check out thisFacebook page for images and painting of what I'm describing =-)

hillmom