This was in my Local News, re: the great Vaccine debate. Something to think about.

Newsday.com

Infant diagonosed with measles visited LI

A Massachusetts infant diagnosed with measles may have exposed those who came in contact with him last week during a three-day trip to Riverhead by way of the Orient-New London ferry, the health department said yesterday.

Dr. James Tomarken, Suffolk health commissioner, advised anyone who may have been exposed to be alert to symptoms, especially high risk individuals such as pregnant women.

The infant traveled on the 1 p.m. ferry July 7 from New London to Orient. Passengers who traveled on the 3 p.m. July 7 ferry from Orient to New London may have been exposed, officials said.

People who visited or stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, 2038 Old Country Rd., Riverhead between Wednesday and Friday may also have been exposed, officials said.

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 1:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Health

• I found a study last week showing how quickly measles can spread by one unvaccinated child contracting the disease and essentially affecting 71 other children in school/day care whose parents had opted not to vaccinate.

The big misconception is that we've wiped out these diseases. We haven't, and a concern most people don't think about are people who immigrate here legally and illegally and their vaccination standards in other countries.

As a cancer survivor, I'd do just about anything to stay healthy, and with the physician whose original study sparked this debate having lost his medical license in Europe, I feel comfortable immunizing my children based upon current AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) and CDC standards.
    DanaDWeb

Answer by DanaDWeb at 1:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I had the Measles about 10 years ago when i was still in college. Nobody called the news or put out an APB. My Dr. told me to drink a lot of water and to go back to class when the spots went away.

I don't understand why every time a kid gets the measles its breaking news now.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Well UpSherises, Maybe because if you are exposed while Pregnant it may result in a miscarriage, stillbirth or pre-term (early) delivery. Or if you have a lowered immune system from another medical issue, you could die. That seems like a reason to alert the public to me.

ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I understand that people with compromised immune systems are more susceptable to illness, and that an illness can be much riskier. That's the case for 100's of illnesses, not just the Measles. They don't send out a bulliten everytime someone has the flu, which is just as risky, and you're more likely to be exposed to.

I just don't see how calling out 1 communicable disease is genuinely helpful to the public. I think it is sensational and aggrivates the rational fears of the public.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My opinion is if you can save even one life then it was worth it, but you are entitled to your opinion. Maybe if you were in a high risk group you would feel differently though.

ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I don't get it either... I would prefer my children get the Measles than the vaccine... There is MUCH less risk of long term damage and a MUCH higher chance of a naturally strong immune system. I have never seen a real reason for anyone to be vaccinated against it... Or why it makes the news every time a child gets it. When adults get it - which isn't to terribly uncommon - no one makes a big deal... I would have to say if this is what is on your Local News, maybe they had a slow news day!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Guess what Paulie?

I am in a high risk group! Not that it's any of your business but maybe next time you'll think twice before you pass judgement.

I have a disorder called Cyclical Vomitting Syndrome which leaves with with a severly compromised immune system after each episode. I have special papers to carry in my purse incase i have a medical emergency and have an aranged treatment plan with my local emergency room because i visit so often.

Still don't think i need to be notified anytime anyone in my community has a contagious disease.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010