Are any moms out there that don't like Halloween?

If there are I was going to ask what do you do when is the time for children to go out for candies?

SaferAtHome

Asked by SaferAtHome at 12:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• i don't like it, but i'm going to do it because my husband wants it. unless our church is doing something, then we might go there instead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I personally love it, but my friend recently told me about her childhood experience with Halloween. Her parents don't approve of Halloween, so every year they would buy a bunch of candy, rent some new movies, get pizza and have a special night in. I thought that was really cool.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My mom was the same way as the above answer. I never got to attend the halloween parties in my class at school but I am going to let my son participate. I of course do not like the scary part of halloween but i think my son should have fun dressing up and eating candy. There is no harm in that. Just as long as he stays away from the witch craft part of it all.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• As a mother and grandmother, I do not like it at all. I think it promotes all the wrong ideas to our children... I only used to take my kids to relatives' homes.... On the other hand, I do like all the candy!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:32 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I never liked it cause I dont like my kids walking around after dark to strangers houses ,,So I started just buying them candy.

Answer by louise2 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• yeah i don't like all the scary stuff about it, and the whole thing where you teach your kids not to take candy from strangers, but yet there you are taking your kids to strangers' houses to get candy...(not to mention demanding it by saying "trick or treat") what does that tell them?? my son was too young last year, he was only 6 months, so we just stayed at a friends house and had him dressed up, while passing out candy. me and dh weren't dressed up, but we didn't want to stay in the house all night. This year though, i don't know. hubby really likes halloween. he wants to take our kid out trick or treating. I just don't know yet...he's only a year and a half, so candy right now is not my idea of what he needs. but at the same time, i don't know what i'd do when he gets older and doesn't know why he can't have fun like the other kids...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• well if youre responsible louise you would be with your kids to keep them safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i don't like it..to much money wasted...like most other holidays.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 1:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• AS A CHILD MY FAMILY HAD RELIGIOUS REASONS FOR NOT ALLOWING US TO PARTICIPATE IN HALLOWEEN. I HATED IT AS A CHILD, HOWEVER MY PARENTS DID USUALLY TRY TO DO SOMETHING FUN. LIKE THE ABOVE STATEMENT WE WOULD RENT MOVIES, ORDER PIZZA OR EVEN DO SOMETHING AT HOME LIKE HAVE OUR OWN LITTLE PARTY AND SAY IT WAS FOR SOMEOTHER REASON. IT USUALLY WAS A LOT OF FUN. I PERSONALLY DONT WANT MY DAUGHTER EATING CANDY FROM STRANGERS AND I THINK THAT IT TEACHES THEM SOME BAD IDEAS. REALLY IT GOES AGAINST EVERYTHING WE TRY AND TEACH THEM ABOUT "DONT TAKE CANDY FROM STRANGERS." I ALSO WOULD POST SOMETHING ON MY DOOR SAYING THAT YOU ARE NOT HANDING OUT CANDY CAUSE HAVING ALL THOSE KIDS IN COSTUMES AND HAVING FUN CAN REALLY SEEM UNFAIR TO A CHILD AT HOME (EVEN IF THAT CHILD WAS ALREADY HAVING FUN). WITH A NOTE POSTED IT WOULD HELP ELIMINATE THAT PROBLEM. WELL GOOD LUCK AND I WISH YOU THE BEST.
    alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 2:51 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I love halloween. We know our neighbors so I don't have a problem taking my daughter to their houses for candy. I loved dressing up as a kid and so does my little girl. I love halloween candy but I plan to do the same thing my mom did: let us eat several peices after thourghly checking every peice, throw away any peices with so much as a hairline tear in the wrapper, put it up high and hand out a piece once in a while and eventually throw the rest away. I guess if you take your child to homes of people they have never met that might override you teaching them not to take candy from strangers...I am not sure because it never did for me...in fact I still don't take candy from public candy dishes and such because it has been so ingrained.
    Betc04

Answer by Betc04 at 8:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2008