my 10 month old twins think "no" is a game... need advice

Oh man. I am drowning.
so my twins are 10 months old today and i feel like they're never going to learn what "no" means.

just now I was changing one on the floor and his brother came over and started slapping him in the face so I told the culpret "no!" firmly "no hits" "not nice" he laughed and did it again so I did the same "no" "no hits" "not nice" and he just kept laughing and doing it again as if "no" is a game.

I know they're only 10 months but it drives me nuts when I say "no!" and they smile/laugh and keep doing it. I don't understand why when I"m firm they think I'm playing???

I worked in a daycare for long time so I always feel like a fool when I feel so lost like this but I worked with 2 1/2/ 3 year olds so.

anyway, any tips, advice, comments

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think all 10 month olds are like that. My 10 month old likes to get into the garbage cubboard and I tell her no-no and she walks towards me, smiles and walks right back to the cubboard and opens it again! It will take time
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• iv started time outs with my little one. she is 13 months. she has a special spot for time outs, dont use their beds or any place that you need them to be calm and happy. just say what you were saying "no hits" and tell them "time out" and set them down for 45 seconds and when you let them up repeat "no hits" it shouldnt take too long for the threat of time out to be real for them.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• has not worked with my child but worked for child i took care of years back
    this child also thought no was so much fun
    i told mother that i would get him to say yes by end of end, she laughed at me
    when she got home, i asked him question that had to be a yes
    i asked him question and he smiles said loudly "yes indeed!"
    all day i made saying yes indeed (with real big and smooth sound of words) more fun than the game of no

childs mom was very surprised!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• my twins are like this too! Keep at it, and they'll get it. My twins are now just getting it and they're 18 months. I think after you are consistent they'll figure it out....there is a light at the end of the tunnel! lol
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It is just a phase. As they get older they will learn better. You can practice scenarios with your dh in front of the babies so they see how daddy acts (BEHAVES) when Mom says no, and they will emulate him. for example, have him pull something off the coffee Table and you sternly say "No! we dont pull things off the table" and he looks all sad and puts it back and walks away. Obviously everything should be WAY overdramatized so they get what is going on
    JacyB

Answer by JacyB at 2:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Now is the time to establish with authority that no does indeed mean no. There is no substitute for physical consequences for what they are doing. The younger you start, the more peaceful you and your home will be. It is not a phase that they will outgrow. The stakes will get a little higher with every passing day. The best time to start disciplining your child is when they first begin to do things and get into things that you do not want them to get into the habit of doing. Right now, your children are forming bad habits, and they will not just grow out of those bad habits. Children want to be in control, and they will be in control unless you put a stop to it. If you need more help, get the book SHEPHERDING A CHILD'S HEART by Tedd Tripp. Another good book is BOUNDARIES FOR CHILDREN by Drs. John Townsend and Henry Cloud. Parenting is hard, but the way you start makes a heap of difference.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My son used to crack up laughing when i told him no, everyone thought it was just so funny but i didnt. I just consistantly told him no and shook my head when i told him no and he eventually learned the meaning of the word. Now when i tell him no he shakes his head right along with me.
    AshleaaKayy

Answer by AshleaaKayy at 2:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Don't say no. be boring to negative behavior.
    redirect. say "ow, that hurt!" or "hitting hurts" give no attention for that except to move the baby or yoursself or the other child, then SHOW nice touch.

When you say no. you are exciting and giving attention. you inadvertantly reinforce the behavior you don't want
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Thanks everyone

and thanks amileegirl youre right, espessially when Im overwhelmed and frustrated I probably put way too much attention on what theyre not supposed to be doing

ill keep this in mind, thanks
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010