What do you think of this adoption story?

I think it's wonderful:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/sports/football/15ware.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ei=5087&em&en=4ecc77f1f6c11233&ex=1213588800&ore

An NFL star and his wife, who are black, adopted a white baby.

However, I do know that there are lots of black babies and toddlers in foster care who need to be adopted and I wonder why they didn't adopt one... however, that doesn't mean they won't adopt again in the future!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Adoption

• Perhaps they are just colorblind? They saw a baby that needed a home, not a white baby or a black baby/
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I think its really sweet! Why should it matter what color thier skin is and what color the babies is? They love her and she loves them thats all that matters. :)
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 7:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• At least they adopted. A lot of black couples don't adopt for whatever reason. Lots of black children get adopted by white families and that is becoming more excepted so, I don't see a problem with a black couple adopting a white baby. They all look beautiful together especially the picture of him and the baby together. Its not easy adopting out of foster care those bioparents know who adopts their kids could you imagine how much they would get harassed over a foster child, there would be stories in the papers.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• they are a beautiful family. true love is colorblind.
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Loving a child may have nothing to do with color but knowing that people have to walk through a world that might not necessarily "love" them and will react to them based on color is an important lesson to teach all of our children.

Not disagreeing with the beauty of this story or of families with multiple ethnicities/cultures (as my family is blended and incorporates African American, Hispanic, and Caucasian). It is however REALLY important that our children know we love them no matter their race but to also prepare them to navigate a world that unfortunately will treat people differently based on race.
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• That is just the sweetest thing I have ever read. I am in Dallas and I don't think our newspaper ever ran a story about it. Deffinately will pass this one along. Thanks for sharing!
    Anonymous

• i love the 1st answer... it does seem that they are colorblind... i think it should always be that way when i child is involved, it doesnt matter the color of them...
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 2:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• We are white and adopted a biracial son. I personally don't see why skin color or race would matter anywhere. We are now adopting more children and they are white. We didn't pick our kids because of race. They needed families and we stepped up. Maybe they just fell in love with the baby.
    debyduz

Answer by debyduz at 3:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I think adoption across cultural lines is beautiful! I know it makes God smile!!!
    joy2bamom

Answer by joy2bamom at 10:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2008