I am trying something new, was wondering if you all could help me. I am wanting to cut down on spending so was going to try only doing grocery shoping once a month. Does anyone else do this? Does it work? How much do you normally buy of basic staples such as milk,bread,cheese ect...?

saving money,groceries,help

luvmyawsomgirls

Asked by luvmyawsomgirls at 6:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I go once a week and save a ton. I watch the sale ads and clip coupons. If something is really on sale I will stock up. Once a week is enough for me. Monthy is too much.
    motherdearest

Answer by motherdearest at 6:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Having lists and not buying off the list is the best saver I know of. Supermarkets know that you will buy all the junk near the cash register - that's why they don't care if lines are long.

Also, making up menus where you can plan and balance cost. If you can make a casserole or a crockpot with veggies you won't be tempted to put hamburger or steak on the grill.
    Smileygirl2008

Answer by Smileygirl2008 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1064711/How_to_save_money_on_groceries_WITHOUT_clipping_coupons
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 7:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I only go once a month. I do have to go every so often for milk. I make a list and make sure i read over my recipe cards and add anything i need for those to the list...then i only buy whats on the list and a few snacks....
    Elizabeth1015

Answer by Elizabeth1015 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I go shopping once a month. Make sure you plan out your meals so you have an accurate list to take with you. You still have to go get milk, eggs and bread but that doesn't usually take that long.
    wilbursdaughter

Answer by wilbursdaughter at 10:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• There is a really neat book titled "cook for a day, eat for a month" that is just that, it gives you the shopping list of how much to buy of each thing, then breaks it down into separate recipes to cook and freeze. It saves tons of money buying in bulk!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• There is only 2 of us. So we usually only buy parishables on a weekly basis. Meat i usually buy in family packs and break it down to 3 or 4 meal size pks for us. Depending on the size of your family in the fall you could get like a half a pig or quarter of a cow and freeze. We can for ourselves and family so we r busy from July till September with that. Freezings always a good option also. With the price of gas continualy increasing.....I suggest everyone put veggies up this summer for the winter. If you don't your grociery bills will be crazy come November. I live in Michigan during the winter bell peppers are up to $4.89 a POUND for colored peppers.........this year I bet they will double. We are going to put away what ever we get our hands on. Weather it be freezing or canning. PLEASE, PLEASE take heed to this. It is going to be the hardest winter any of us has ever seen, this year.
    BCGirl

Answer by BCGirl at 1:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Also if you can start up a co-op in your area.....buying in bulk......you can really save alot that way. When I was a kid, my parents belonged to a group called the Grainge Hall, it was a co-op of farmer and they bought alot of stuff for next to nothing. Sams clubs are good for that.
    BCGirl

Answer by BCGirl at 1:28 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I'm trying a new thing too. I go to the shop once a week. Before i go i write a list of exactly what i need, taking into consideration what i already have. then i write in a different column, what i would like if it is on special. eg:if i already have washing powder to last me 2 weeks but its on special when i shop, then i get one more.its working really well
    mumofonegen

Answer by mumofonegen at 3:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I "believe" you can to the Kraft website and print out menus for the week that include the shopping lists also...may help you out to go visit the site! Good luck...
    dragonflyz643

Answer by dragonflyz643 at 7:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2008