Need some input because I am about to say good riddance!

I was laid off in May ad decided since I have a background in child care to take a family of children full time into my home. I found a family that wants me full time. They are moving just to have me. I need to make a decision with a quickness if I am going to continue this. They are signing the lease today on an apartment. The mother seemed very normal at first. She was not asking more than I take care of her kids and keep them busy...
Now she keeps calling and I am sure its because she knows if put on the spot I will just say yes, but she is asking me to do out of the ordinary things like brush her kids teeth in the morning, help her son with homework on top to taking him to school, picking him up, and I have her other kid for 12 hours a day. For both I am only asking $230 a week. I really just want to tell her no now. She is starting to act very strange.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would seriously put in writing what you will do and what you won't do and what you expect for pay for what YOU are willing to do fo her kids. All this "extra" stuff needs to stop. If she wants a tutor she needs to hire one. If she wants a nanny, she needs to hire one.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Trust your gut. . . I know helping other is a good thing and she obviously needs it. . . but if you feel she is asking too much, or there is something not right here. . . there probably is. for $230 a week I would ask for more and see what she says and then if she doesn't agree tell her you just can't do it.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 2:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Tell her what the $230 includes and that your interest is in taking care of the children in her absence, but not filling her role as their mother. Homework and teeth brushing (if you feel this way) is not included in the care plan that you have laid out and that maybe she needs to keep looking for someone who better meets her family's needs.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Trust your instincts Girl. If you are getting a funny feeling, say no, before it's too late.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• If you don't want to do it, then don't do it.

Is she bringing them so early that they can go back to sleep after they get there? If, so, then I don't see what the problem with brushing their teeth is. Poor dental hygiene just to let it go. Do you live in the older boy's school district where he could ride the bus to your house?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Definitely have a written contract; this is for the protection of all of you.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2010