2yr old and nightmares!

Last night my df shut the bedroom door while I was asleep, I usually keep it open to hear if my dd wakes up. I can barely hear anything with the fan on and the door shut. well he left to hang out with his friend. at 3 I woke up to my dd screaming her lungs off. She was sitting on the couch hystercal. my df wasnt home yet so she was all alone and couldnt get into my room. she layed with me in bed for an hour and her bed for another hour wide awake and scared. after she fell back asleep she woke up continuely. now while having her nap, she keeps waking up crying. is there anything i can do to help her?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 3:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is so hard. There is nothing worse than your child waking up thinking that you are gone. I am sorry that your dd had to go through this. Right now, she doesn't trust you. That is why she keeps waking up. I would go with it for a while. Whenever she wakes up, just go straight to her. This helps her regain the trust and makes her feel better. It lets her know that you are still there and that you will be there when she needs you. Eventually, she will be able to relax and sleep soundly again, but it will take her some time. Also, keep her in her bed. When she wakes up, don't put her in your bed or on the couch. Stay with her in her room in her bed. This will help reiterate that her bed is where she needs to sleep. Poor thing, I feel so bad for your daughter. There has been a time or two when my kids got hysterical because I didn't get to them right away. I feel for your dd.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 3:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I feel horrible! I am really mad with myself and at my df for shutting the bedroom door. I usually do go in her room when she wakes and put her back to sleep. I just hate that she's scared that I'm not going to be there for her.
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2010