I can not get my baby to burp after every feeding

And today he has got sick alot!!! Could it be because I'm not burping him enough? I don't want to stop breast feeding but he can't keep getting sick like that!! I've already gave up dairy pruducts! :( please help

amylynn4919

Asked by amylynn4919 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how long have u been off dairy products(it take awhile to get out of the system). If dairy alone doesn't fix it I would recomend going gluten free. Sounds like reflux.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 3:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• What do you mean "got sick"? Did he throw up? All babies do. He might not need to burp. Breastfed babies don't have as much air in their tummies.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• A gas bubble in the tummy will eventually find it's way out. And if there is milk on top of the gas bubble, then that will come up also. Being gassy/not being able to burp has nothing to do with breastfeeding. He might be just as gassy (if not worse) on formula. So if you don't want to give up BFing, then don't. What you need to do is find a position for burping that actually works for your child. Rather than the traditional over the shoulds & pat the back routine, have you tried some alternatives? The one that always worked best for my kids was to sit them up on my lap, then lay them back horizontally for a little bit, and then sit them up again. Laying them back allows the air bubbles to come to the top. Then the pressure from sitting them up forces that air bubble up and out in the form of a burp. Try researching some other techniques as well until you find something that works for your child.
    Mary229

Answer by Mary229 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• He doesn't necessarily need to burp after every feeding. Just make sure to try for the right amount of time (I can't remember what it is since it's been a while for me!).

How did he get sick? It could be unrelated to his eating. If you think it has something to do with his food, I'd talk to your doctor again, but like a PP said, it does take a little bit for the dairy to leave yours and his system. My son has a dairy allergy and it was a good 2 weeks before he was "normal" once I stopped giving him cow's milk.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I agree with Mary229. What worked best for us was facing our son forward, hand over chest and patting him on the back. He seemed to have more success burping that way than holding him facing us (plus, no spit up on clothes, LOL).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My son very rarely ever burped. The only position he ever would was leaned over my knee.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 3:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• If he is getting sick a lot, you might want to ask about Acid Reflux...its possible he has an issue. As for burping, I always found that laying them flat for a minute or two (flat on their backs), helps the bubble find its way up. Then put him in the sitting position on your knee and give him a little pat/bounce on the knee. This ALWAYS worked for my kids. I always found that bubbles would wake my kid's up about 15-20 minutes into a nap if they didn't burp. Not convenient. It is possible he is overeating too...a lot of breastfed babies comfort eat as they fall asleep. Try not switching breasts at each feeding...that way he can comfort suck as long as he wants without eating another meal.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My daughter used to spit up all the time until about 8 months old. It didn't make a difference whether I had burped her or not. I would try to burp her for about a minute and if she didn't burp, she didn't burp. I didn't stress over it. She is also breastfed.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• try bending him over you lap or bouncing him on your shoulder with his belly on your shoulder. good luck
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 8:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I had the same problem with my youngest DD when she was 3 weeks old. She was throwing up so much that she lost almost a half a pound in about a week. And actually, as much as I hated doing it, I had to stop breast feeding her, and she had to have a hypo-allergenic formula like Nutramagen, she stopped throwing up, and gained the weight back once she was on that formula.
    christine_05

Answer by christine_05 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2010