WAS George Washington the first president?

I posted a trivia question, but deleted it, as I decided that wasn't the route I wanted to take with this, lol.

What about John Hanson? Would he be considered the first president? Some people say he was, others say he wasn't. He was the first President of Congress to be elected under the Articles of Confederation. So, was he or wasn't he the first President from 1781-1782?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 3:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• he was elected President in 1781. The "new" country was actually formed on March 1, 1781 with the adoption of The Articles of Confederation. Hanson was thus elected president. . . the signing took place in 1781, a President was needed to run the country. John Hanson was chosen unanimously by Congress which included George Washington. All the other potential candidates refused to run against him, as he was a major player in the Revolution and an extremely influential member of Congress.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 4:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I go with the Constitution on that one, GW. But it is such a cool fact that I didn't ever consider! Thanks!
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Interesting! I just Googled that. I still think of George as our first president. But this is still very interesting.

http://www.marshallhall.org/hanson.html

thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It depends on what you condsider the United States.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• yes george washington was the first president if your asking about Presidents of US
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• There were 8 Presidents of the US under the Articles of Confederation between 1781 and 1789 when George Washington was elected, they were:

John Hanson
    Elias Boudinot
    Thomas Mifflin
    Richard Henry Lee
    John Hancock
    Nathaniel Gorham
    Arthur St. Clair
    Cyrus Griffin
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• John Hanson was the first. . .and there were 7 before Washington. . .Washington was first under the Constitution. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 3:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Interesting answers here.
    You have to remember that History is Pulp Culture. They tell the stories that get more ratings, so to speak. They say that Paul Rever was the only guy who rode his horse to warn the towns people that "The Redcoats were coming", but in all actually another guy did as well. He also rode a further distance, whereas Paul only rode two miles or so.

Every story in history is told to get the most of any reaction.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The first time I heard this was from PRINCE during an interview a few years back

Education is FAILING.....

and I went to private school for 8 years! lol

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I know. Snopes says that John Hanson wasn't technically President. I read so much conflicting information. The poor guy definitely isn't getting the recognition he deserves. I just thought it was interesting, because a lot of people have never even heard of him!
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010