how would handle an older child like 9 wetting the bed

do u think they can control there bladder and should be punished ... or do u think there most likely beating them selves abt it enough, a punishment would just make it worse... i personally wet the bed til like 7th grade.. i hated it.. i would never go to sleep overs and i felt very embarrsed..at that point i washed my own sheets.. not cause i had to but bc if i c leaned it up myself .. then no one would notice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• More than likely its a bladder control issue and the child should not be punished for something that happens while they are asleep.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• There is nothing you can do. They certainly don't want to wet the bed. My son was 14 when he finally stopped. It was horrible. Making a big deal out of it will only make the kid feel bad. It won't solve the problem.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i vote that it's bladder control...and a child should never be punished for that...no matter what!
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 3:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I have a sibling that wet the bed until his early teens. We started to give him a tablespoon of honey every night before bed, and within a few short weeks, he stopped. I have done the same thing with a child that I babysat over night while his mom worked...he's only seven but it has worked.
    I don't believe in punishing the child for this - my sibling had a lot of emotional issues which I think caused it, plus it's hard for them to handle in the first place. Try the honey.
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 3:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• IT depends on why they're wetting the bed. Some children do not have control over their bladder like other children do. Some bladder disorders can be fixed though, which can remedy them wetting the bed. Some children's bladders don't develope as fast, or as well, as other children's do. If he's doing it purposely then he should be punished, clearly. However, if it isn't something he can control then why would you punish him? That's like spanking a child for having torretts, or giving a child a time out for being dislexic. That's stupid.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• If it's a new thing I'd first have them checked for a urinary tract infection. If a UTI was ruled out then I'd look for other reasons it might be happenning such as if the child is excessively worried about something. I'd also look at the types of drinks and amounts the child was consuming, particularly after 5pm, and I'd make sure the child went to the restroom before bedtime. I wouldn't punish or shame the child, but I would have them do a lot of the clean up themselves. If the bed wetting didn't stop pretty quickly I'd take the child back to the doctor to investigate other potential causes.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Never punish a child for wetting the bed. I did until I was 14. Both of my children (5 and 7) are bed wetters and are very deep sleepers. i might try the honey.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 4:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My son is 12 and still occassionally wets the bed, or the floor or the coach depending on where he falls asleep. I never punish him, I think it would just really make it worse or at the very least cause him anxiety he doesn't need. I figure or hope he'll grow out of it. He does go to sleep overs and never seems to make an issue of it, which I think in away is good. Some of his friends and my older son's friends know he does this, but they also never make an issue of it - which is nice you know how some kids can be. I feel lucky he doesn't have any kind of emotional stress over it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Bedwetting can go on into the teens and I would not punish a child for wetting. My oldest is 13 and still wets, my middle finally stopped at age 10. My oldest sleeps so deep he does not realize he has to pee and cannot wake to go and pee. We have plastic on the mattress, and he wears adult depends(pull ups) at night to help with wetting. If this is a new thing I would look at the child's liquid intake - maybe cut back on liquids and pee before bed. You can talk to your child's doctor - mine said that there are bedwetting medications available. He also suggested my son do 'bladder excercises' -- when he is peeing to start and stop the stream a few times.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Go with ur personal experince on this an thats how u should deal with it....I dont think a child should b punished 4 wetting bed sometimes its a bladder issue an they can not control whats happening mayb u should take them 2 a dr an c if there is anything they can do 2 help an cut way down on liquids a few hours b4 bed.
    Halogurl29

Answer by Halogurl29 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2010