How long do you have your potty trainees sit on the potty?

We are really just starting potty training with our son. I put underwear on him and take him to potty fairly frequently. He NEVER does anything on the potty, but almost always wets himself within 10 minutes of leaving the potty. I left him home with my husband for a while last night, and when I got home I found out he'd kept our son on the potty for over an hour! My husband said after waiting 15 or 20 minutes he had too much time invested to give up so he was determined to wait until our son did something in the potty; he finally did pee just a little, but it surprised him and he stopped right away. I think keeping him on the potty this long is excessive and frustrating, but I'm open to hearing I'm wrong.

How long do you keep your potty trainees on the potty at any one time? What's the longest amount of time you'd think was acceptable?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I waited until my kids were 3. They went right when we put them on. My boys liked standing up better. You could try that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Thanks mompam. We just started this week, and my son will be 3 next month. If he doesn't have a few successes today or tomorrow I'm going to stop for a couple of weeks before trying again. His twin sister trained herself in February, and I'm not expecting to get off that easy twice.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Comment by TweenAndTwinMom (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010