gestational diabetes

i go for my tests tomorow... last time they checked it was kind of high, but not extremely only like 2-3 points and they want to check again this time 3 test in a row... 3 hours... if i have it what can go wrong or what is the bad things about it?! im so scared i just want my baby to be ok!

brittany320

Asked by brittany320 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Is this your first baby? Well I had it when I was pgnt with my son. My sugar was slightly high, but not high enough to the point that I needed insulin. I was able to control it with a low carb low calorie, sugar free diet. That was the only thing that sucked. I couldn't have all the sweets we women crave LOL...but it was worth it, I didn't want my child to be harmed in any way. I also had to check my sugar 6 times a day with the finger prick. Your doctor, and many books will stress the importance of taking GOOD care of yourself, you do not want to have a 10 lb. baby.
    MCD3

Answer by MCD3 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• your baby will be okay, just take care of yourself... diabetes usually goes away after the pregnancy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• dont get too worried yet. i took my one hour test and i was extremely high...i thought there was no chance in passing the 3 hour one but i did. all my numbers were within range so theres def hope for you.
    metallicakh39

Answer by metallicakh39 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Ive had this test. all you do is drink a high sugar soda and tey draw your blood once an hour for 3 hours. my test was for 5 hours. they just measure the sugar levels and how high it spikes and if it drops to normal. Theres nothing to be worried about. i went ot the doct when i was 8 weeks. my sugar was 166. they were telling me i had gestational diabetes. I finally had to prove to them that i didnt. i had to check my sugar at home and show them that i am hypoglycemic not diabetic. Its a simple test. It boring though,. make sure you have plenty to do. Books etc. Just relax if you do have it it generally goes away after the baby is born. They will put uyou on a certain diet where you eat more oftern and things like that.
    chevygirl2007l

Answer by chevygirl2007l at 2:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Okay here's the scoop. I too had a slight elevation on my test (the 3 hour one; but only the first time they took it.) So they told me I was borderline... (which honestly, I wasn't...) anywho's because of that test; I had to go in to that office for the first 32 weeks every two weeks to have my blood drawn after not eating all night and morning. First of all asking a pregger lady not to eat is rather stupid, especially if she doesn't need to be doing it... after 32 weeks; I had to go in every week. It was absolutely ridiculous; and my work gave me hell for it. All it was was them making money off of my insurance, and me feeling horrible every time I had to do it...
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 6:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2008