Moms with older kids: If a child is hard to potty train and trains late (3 ish) does that mean they tand a higher chance of wetting the bed later in life?

I am honestly curious if my daughters late potty training might end up in bed wetting in the coming years... right now I still have her sleep in a pull up.
She JUST finished daytime potty training. I know you're supposed to wait till they don't wet the pull up anymore to try them on panties, but how long should I give it if she doesn't start waking up dry in the coming months? How old is too old for the night time pull-up?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 3:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son potty trained at 3 years 2 months. Never had trouble with him wetting the bed. Btw, the national average on potty training for boys is 38 months, with girls being 36 months. So really it is not "late."
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Every childs bladder matures at different rates...I was lucky my son never wet 2 bed an was potty trained at 2 but my neighbors daughter is 6 an she still wears a pull up 2 bed...I think every child is different its so hard 2 tell>
    Halogurl29

Answer by Halogurl29 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I have 3 of my 5 kids potty trained. My youngest two are 20 months and 3 weeks so...My 8 year old was 4 1/2, before ya judge she has cerebral palsy so it was harder to get her to feel the muscles. She does not and has not wet the bed since she was potty trained. My 6 year old was 2 and same with her. My son was 4, again no excuses there just me working at the time and no consistancy but once I stayed home it took a week. He does occassionally have accidents but usually they are he can't get the bathroom door open at night. new house here and he isn't used to the twist handles yet. I don't think it matters at what age they potty train as to whether they will have night accidents. I always cut off drinks 2 hours before bedtime so that helps. I think when they go dry for a week straight I would try without pullups.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 6:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• From what I understand, you can't "train" a child for night-time; it just has to happen on its own. There's some sort of "trigger" in their brains that says "Hey, wake up! You've got to take a piss!" Until that trigger is activated, then the child runs the risk of wetting the bed. I don't think it has anything to do with when you choose to day train them.

Here's a link with some info about night-training: http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/A-Potty-Accidents-Nighttime.html
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 7:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My daughter didn't get out of diapers until four. She is almost 15, and has not had a bedwetting issue.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i have four girls...and three of them wore pull-ups at night until they were four-ish. they all caught on and none of them ever went to school not knowing how to use the potty.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 3:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• She goes during the day... I'm talking at night. Since she trained late does she stand a higher chance of wetting the bed at an older age and how long do you give them to wear the pull up's at night before they HAVE to learn to go without them (if they haven't done so on their own)?
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010