Is staying on the computer really "watching" a toddler?

My daughter is 2, and i am supposed to be resting because i was at risk for preterm, so SO says he'll watch her. He is really good with her when he's not on the computer! Most guys zone out when they're on there and IMO toddlers need to be played with and given attention to as much as possible. Now if she goes in her room to play by herself that's a different story but when she's in the living room, shouldn't he be off the computer at least interacting? I can't relax not knowing if she's being paid attention to.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well i'm on the computer most of the day. ok i'll admit it, i'm addicted to CM. although, if my son comes to me and wants to bang on the keys, i lock the screen and let him go at it, and if he wants to play, i have no problem getting up and playing with him. my son is one to play by himself though. i guess he's used to it cuz when i was pregnant, i couldn't really do much, like sit on the floor with him, cuz getting up was ssoo hard. i guess as long as you know that the child is ok, playing and not getting into anything, it's fine. just if the child wants your attention, you're willing to get up and play/get whatever is needed. i have my son on a schedule, so i know when it's breakfast, lunch, potty, nap and dinner time, all at the same time each day, so if he's playing by himself and i'm on the computer, i just have to keep an eye on the time and get off when needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I AGREE WITH YOU TO AN EXTENT. I AM GUILTY OF BEING ON THE COMPUTER SOMETIMES WHEN MY LITTLE GIRL IS IN THE LIVINGROOM. IT IS USUALLY WHEN SHE IS WATCHING HER CARTOONS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. I THINK THAT YOU ARE REFERRING TO THE EXTREME THOUGH WHEN THAT IS ALL THEY SEEM TO DO. I HAVE A HARD TIME LEAVING HOME AND HAVING HUBBY WATCH OUR LITTLE ONE, CAUSE I AM CONCERNED THAT HE WONT WATCH HER PROPERLY. I GUESS IT COMES DOWN TO TRUST. I THINK THAT IF SHE IS LACKING IN ATTENTION SHE WOULD LET YOU GUYS KNOW. KIDS HAVE NO PROBLEM DOING SOMETHING TO GET THE ATTENTION THEY WANT. UNLESS HE IS IGNORING HER CRYING OR SOMETHING TO THAT AFFECT I WOULDNT WORRY TO MUCH. HE OBVIOUSLY COULD BE DOING BETTER BY SPENDING TIME PLAYING WITH HER, BUT HE ISNT REALLY HURTING ANYTHING. FROM THE SOUNDS OF IT YOU ARE THERE SHOULD SOMETHING HAPPEN. JUST TRY TO RELAX, SHE WILL LET YOU KNOW IF SHE STARTS NEEDING MORE ATTENTION.
    alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 1:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Not to sound rude or anything, but your daughter won't die if she doesn't get interaction the entire time she is in the living room. Perhaps you could suggest that DH spend some more time on the floor playing with her, but if he really doesn't respond to that, I don't think it will be the end of the world. It won't be long before your baby is born and you can reclaim the playtime your daughter deserves. (no sarcasm intended) Just my opinion.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:04 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• When I got put on complete bed rest while I was pregnant with #2 my other dd was 2, dh had to work, and so she would come to me with toys and such and we would play on the bed or couch. Plus it is good for them to play by themselves.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2008