What do I need?

My husband and I are preparing for baby number 1 and I'm just wondering how many different items in each size do you need? for instance, how many onsies, pants, socks, etc? Anything you couldn't live without when your baby was first born?

MamaSarah1104

Asked by MamaSarah1104 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I cant give you an exact number but with my first baby I went to yard sales and bought up a bunch of clothes. I remember going to one that this lady was selling like 2 big diaper boxes of baby boy clothes from 0-12 months. I didnt want to go through the clothes so I just offered $20 for all the clothes and picked through at home what I thought I would use(of course washed them) and used the ones with a bit of stains on them for like around the house onezies and such because my son always spit up and when I was home I didnt care what my baby wore so I would put those stained ones on especially when I fed him. Then also you can have friends,family and yourself shop for new clothes and use those as nice clothes for when you do go outside lol. But yard sales are a cheap way to just get a bunch of clothing very cheap. But as for how many..I had way too much clothes lol most were not even worn. So I would say 10 per style/size.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Keep in mind that newborn clothes are outgrown VERY quickly...I had things that NEVER got worn because they were outgrown too quickly.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think one onesie for every day of the week is fine. And they do grow out of them really quickly. My daughter is 11 months and wearing some 12 month stuff but mostly 18 month stuff. And if you use cloth diapers, it gives them a big butt and they generally grow out of the onesies and pants quicker than in regular diapers. During the cooler months I would have my daughter in a onesie and Baby Legs leg warmers around the house. Way easier than pants for diaper changes. I definitely wouldn't go overboard on cute little outfits. Maybe a couple for pictures and that's about it. Even going out, we still dress our daughter in a cute onesie or one of those onesies that looks like a little romper dress. But I'm all about comfort and ease. Target and the Carter's Outlets have really cute, cheap onesies IMO.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It really depends. You can never have enough. They say a few dozen of each is good cuz babies tend to spit up, unless you wanna do laundry all the time.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• as many as you can get!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 4:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I agree a bunch of everything is a good idea expecially while they're young. Otherwise you'l be doing laundry all the time.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would not go overboard with the newborn clothes most babies outgrow them really quickly. I have several newborn outfits that still have the tags on them and my sons are 2 and 4.

... One thing I couldn't live without... My Boppy!!!
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 4:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• When our babies were newborns, I did not want to change their clothes. I changed their onesies only every other day, and also if they got anything on them. Even though I had a newborn and a 13 month old, I still had plenty of time to do laundry. If you're hurting for money, buy only 1 pack of each size. If you feel you need more, go back and get another pack :)
    They grow so fast!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 5:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Hand me downs are great for play clothes and keeping the laundry down...during the first year, you can literally go through 2-5 outfits a day easy. Between spitup, drool and then solid foods...they're always grubby (and you will be too...don't forget to stock up on lounge wear for yourself too!). Only get a very small amount of Newborn Clothes...an outfit to come home in, a pack of onesies and you're good. (They don't usually start spitting up/drooling until they've more than outgrown the Newborn sizes). Then, maybe a dozen onesies in each size (often you can wear two sizes at a time...my son is in 12 & 18 mo. onesies right now...the 12;s are a litle snug and the 18 mo. are a little loose). WEARABLE BLANKETS are the best!!! Carter's makes some nice ones. It is one zipper right down the front...with a onesie underneath. It makes it super easy to get to the diaper in the middle of the night!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Socks...just get a pack in each size...they can wear then for a couple of days (its not like they're walking in them!). The BEST ones are the Carter's Kick Proof socks...you can get them at Carter's or JCPenny. They have a little band around the ankle so they don't come off so easily...http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DYyWILk5L._AA300_.jpg (Unless it is cold where you live in which case you might want more). Snuggly blankets are always good for covering the infant carrier if it is cold or getting cozy with mom at home. Pants...depending on the time of year...I'd get 4-6 in each size if it is cooler, less if is warmer where you live/time of year. Carter's usually has 5 packs of onesies and coordinating 2 packs of cotton pants. *Keep in mind that if you're just hanging around the house, you'll probably just have baby in a onesie...you'll be changing lots of diapers!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010