During summer break, how long do you go without talking to your teen.

My 16 yo daughter left to go to the park/recreation center to meet up with her friend. I asked her to call me in a couple hours. 4 1/2 hours later, no phone call.
What is the acceptable time to let a teen her age take off and not check in?
Thanks

Stripe

Asked by Stripe at 4:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Definitely not that long. No only that but if she was supposed to call and did not, that would be a huge problem for me. I would say a couple of hours tops, and you're going to get answers saying it's okay for a teen to be out all day if a past question very similar to this is any indicator.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think a good idea would be to get her a tracfone.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• She has a cell phone.
    Stripe

Comment by Stripe (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would say no more than 4 hours without a phone call!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I make my kids call me at least every two hours, depending on what they are doing I will set a time that they must call. I call them if they don't call me or text them. If I don't hear from them or they don't answer, I get in the car and drive to where they told me they would be. If they are not there, they are in serious trouble when I finally get ahold of them. I have only had two instances where my older son did not call or answer. When I went to the ballgame he was across the street with friends, I made him get in the car and explained it was unacceptable not to tell me where he is at all times, regardless if it was across the street. The other time he was suppose to be home from a party at 11, he didn't come home, I couldn't reach him or his friends, when I finally did I was bawling I was so scared, he was two house away, I made him come anyway, we had a long discussion, which ended in hugs and apologies from him
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I just send a text asking where are you, or who's all there or something like that, I do it after a couple of hours. Than I let it go. Mine is 17, so I try to not check all the time, giving space is hard. But I do have to know where, who, and when she will be back.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• We have the family locator with Verizon

Answer by rkoloms at 7:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• oh ok I was thinking something different mine go to camp for a month and it is a tech free zone no cells,ipods,ipads,laptops so we don't talk for a month at a time...June.Your question ...if you gave her an amount of time to call you in then that is the correct amount of time.I do think the 2 hours was reasonable.I or we ,including kids, have been lucky they have been with friends that didn't call or answer their moms call and had the mother show up ANGRY.There is not the slightest doubt in my children's mind I would do the same so they seem(hope hope fingers crossed)to have learned a lesson via friend.We will see.Plus we tell them if you don't follow our rules without wheels we will not be providing wheels to ignore us in while driving.Worked with the first 2.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 3:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• every two hours one of you can texted to make sure all is good.
    sillyme85

Answer by sillyme85 at 7:57 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i think that every 2 hours one of you needs to text or call each other. i don't have that problem cause my son doesn't like to go anywhere with me but my DH's cousin does with her 17 yr old daughter, her daughter goes out all hours of the day and not tell no one or anything. they use to live with us and she would sneak out of our house just to go next door to her boyfriend's house even in the middle of the night and nothing was done to her except sending her to her bio-father and he lets her do whatever she likes just like he does.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2010