How do I get my 3 year old to stop chewing on everything?

My DD turned 3 in April, and she still chews on just about everything she gets in her hands. We've told her time and time again to not to, taken the items away, time out, but she continues on. Anyone have suggestions that have worked for your kids or someone you know?

kicknscreamn222

Asked by kicknscreamn222 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is she crate-trained. Wait, sorry I was thinking about a puppy. :)

No idea, but here's a bump!
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Could you give her some item that she is allowed to chew on? Tell her OK chew on this but not other stuff? Or is this a power play thing with her and she puts things in her mouth because she knows it annoys you? Perhaps you can tell her if she wants to chew on something then fine, but it has to be washed or disinfected first.

Answer by Bmat at 4:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Short of smacking her with the rolled up newspaper....thanks thatgirl70 for a laugh today. :)
    kicknscreamn222

Comment by kicknscreamn222 (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I guess maybe I should ask, is it still normal and ok for a 3 year old to be chewing on everything. Also she doesn't "eat" things she shouldn't, just chews on them.
    kicknscreamn222

Comment by kicknscreamn222 (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I give my 2 year his paci to stop him. Which is really a bad idea... But he doesn't do it often.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 4:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would buy some cookies, snacks for in between meals to redirect the thinking here. Your child is only three years old and needs guidance from you.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Wow, I can't believe that nobody has had to deal with this issue before...I was really hoping for some good answers here. :(
    kicknscreamn222

Comment by kicknscreamn222 (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Jul. 16, 2010