What do you think of a ten year old having a facebook account?

My ten year old daughter wants a facebook account.All of her friends here in the neighborhood have one. I don't want her to have one JUST because her friends do...no reason to have one. What I want to know...is do you moms think that is too young for one? Is there a way to set it up so only her friends can contact her? I want it to be safe. I don't have a facebook account or I would know already. Thanks for any advise on this.

Cochise

Asked by Cochise at 4:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• That's up to you. I don't know how mature your daughter is.

If my 10 year old daughter had one I can guarantee I would be checking on it all the time and she would have EVERY privacy setting. Including the one where no one can ask to be her "friend" that way she can ask all her neighborhood friends but no freaks would be asking her.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 4:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Bottom line - once it's online, you can't take it back. Any pictures she's tagged in, anything she posts, it's there. You can't control what the people who see it do with it at their end, and it can all be saved. Is she mature enough to be in that type of environment and never say or do anything that could come back to haunt her later when her BFF is her worst enemy on the planet two grades from now? Are her friends mature enough? It doesn't matter if you can delete things, if they were ever there, they are always there, and all it takes is hitting to print screen button on a keyboard to save and duplicate them forever.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My twelve and ten year old both have facebook accounts. They are only allowed on the computer during supervised times and they understand if they mess up they lose it for years. It's a lesson in responsibility for us and a way for them to stay connected to family (a lot of our family has facebook). I'm scared to death of my kids being on the internet, I remember all the crazy stupid things I did when I was a teenager and met people from chat rooms irl. Supervision and communication are key. Explain the dangers and hazards of online predators and cyberbullies. Ultimately, that is a family decision.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 4:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i think the site has an age requirement.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You can make everything private so that only her friends can see her profile and contact her. My nephew is 9 and has one.
    lovinthislife08

Answer by lovinthislife08 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It's too young. You would have to lie about her age to set up a profile for her. I know plenty of people do it, but that doesn't make it right.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i know a mom that lets her 7 year old dd have one. And she is sooo clueless as to the privacy thing, ugg it bugs me.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am sure it does too.... but the kids here are under that age and have them anyways.
    Cochise

Comment by Cochise (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Yes I know...notpanicking...thanks...your right
    Cochise

Comment by Cochise (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Hmmm I am thinking...IF I let her....I can create one of my own too...and put her on as a friend....and keep an eye on things. MAYBE
    Cochise

Comment by Cochise (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2010