School supplies: Anybody else have their list yet? How do you feel about it.

I got mine! It's just as bad as last year. My school is so snooty. lol. They specify which brand they want you to buy. 2 16 pack crayons- crayola only blunt tip scissors- friskers only... ::sigh:: thank goodness for back to school sales...

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in

• Blame educational funding taking a back burner. Schools have NO MONEY anymore, and yeah they do ask more of the parents. Some of the lists I hear about are CRAZY I'll admit. We don't go that extreme where I work.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I have them too. Same thing as yours. However, in the spirit of Reuse, recycle, reduce my two are carrying somethings back to school from last year. Both of them have scissors that are just fine. Both pencil boxes were barely used. I will send in 24 pencils..and they will be Number2...they will not be yellow. I have pencil bound with a rubberband that I can barely get two hands around. It seems everyone gives pencils for everything. Do I care if they are using a valentines pencil at halloween? Not in the least. I refuse to rebuy school supplies so they can 'look new' when we have school supplies that work perfectly fine. Anyway I can cut that budget AND recycle..you bet I'll do it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think its ridiculous. MY 5th grader has to bring 6 boxes of kleenex, 6 rolls of paper towles, 2 clorox wipes. dry erase markers, not to mention what SHE actually needs!
    mstabatham

Answer by mstabatham at 4:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• yeah, we have to bring 2 reams of copy paper...lol. Are the kids making copies now? :0)
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It's ridiculous that we have to buy teacher's supplies AND our children's school supplies, with 5 kids on an E5 salary that stuff adds up QUICK!

BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 4:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• yeah, we don't get our stuff back at the end of the year so everything is a rebuy...
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Well, we haven't gotten ours yet...but I heard that some things have to come out of tje teachers pockets in some places. I'd rather get a few extra things than have to have the teacher buy more.things for the classroom. Certain brand names I don't understand though....
    addynbellasmom

Answer by addynbellasmom at 5:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You don't get scissors, pencil boxes and a share of the crayons and markers at the end of the year? WOW..I would be raising a stink. What do they do throw them away? They certainly can't be keeping them if every kid has to bring a pr every year.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• lol GrnEyedGrandma. I know right? Extra supply black hole we decided at my house.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I can totaly understand why they ask for certain brands, and teachers have seen them all, im sure, and the cheaper brands plain just suck! Then if everyone brings a certain brand, everyone has the same thing. Crayola vs roseart? no comparison!! same with pencil crayons, and felts. Easy and cheaper to get the good stuff to begin with then having to buy them 3 times.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

Next question in
ANYONE DOES ONLINE SCHOOL AND GRADUATE

Next question overall (Money & Work)
job hunting