For those of you that are moderates

Do you find it hard to not choose a side? Or is it easier to fluctuate inside of the political arena since there are so many more options? Or is it difficult because as a moderate, there aren't enough options?

urkiddingright

Asked by urkiddingright at 4:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good question. What I dislike is the assumptions people put on you, I'm a moderate leaning liberal and I listen to both sides and do not always agree with my party. I won't support liberals just for the sake of loyalty. I do however lean more liberal when it comes to civil rights. I also don't think there are enough options for moderates. You either have to decide one or the other, and that's not how I like to play.

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think that there are more options. No 1 way or the highway thinking here. Sometimes more left leaning and sometimes the opposite. Depends on the issue, the situation and the time in history.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• At times I think it would be much easier to not be moderate, it would be easier to find a party to represent you. I am a fiscal conservative / social moderate so it's harder for me to find someone that represents me that actually has a chance in hell of winning. So I can either prioritize my ideals and choose that way and feel like I am selling out on my other ideals that don't align, or I can be principled and vote for someone that I know won't win and in effect split the vote and possibly aid in the election of someone I completely disagree with. Neither feel like good choices and makes me feel more and more like nobody actually represents me.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am a fiscal conservative / social moderate so it's harder for me to find someone that represents me that actually has a chance in hell of winning.

Very difficult position, yet I constantly here people site this as their leaning.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Unfortunately, if I subscribe to the conservative republican ideals, I have to put my social moderate on the back burner. In the fiscal condition we are in as a nation, it's easier for me to do that, but I am not completely convinced that Republican leadership will bring about real fiscal conservative principles. It seems sometimes like it's just another set of gypsies storming the fort. There are a few that I am watching, so time will tell.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I can be fiscally responsible in my own home and that's exactly what I do. I can not back pedal on "social" principles-it bothers me too much as person.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think the problem is hwo people a defining the parties and the issues. I'm probably closer to Libertarian than anything else...but I feel free jump party lines all the time. I vote for PEOPLE, not parties.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• SisterAct - that is EXACTLY my problem. I want conservative tax and spending, but cannot trade my social morals - freedom of marriage, freedom of body, etc. I find it so hard to be a moderate that I want to pull my hair out sometimes. But I refuse to believe that this is my permanent state.
    urkiddingright

Comment by urkiddingright (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2010