How do you feel about 'shared supplies' when buying you school list.

We have to spend about 30-40 on supplies to be shared in the classroom. I'm not a big fan. I mean I really with they would just let my kid use his stuff so at the end of the year I could get the extras back. As it stands I get nothing back. Not even the scissors or the ruler. I have to re buy those every year. I am sure it is easier for the teacher but it also means that my kids can't pick the cool folders they want or fun pencils...they have to be yellow... I dunno it kind of sucks the fun out of school supply shopping.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in

• I have a huge problem with this. It doesn't teach personal responsibility at all. Why learn how to keep up with your stuff if there is a huge box in the teacher's closet full of other student's supplies? What I really don't understand is how nothing is returned at the end of the year. It should all still be there. It sounds like it's just something that is easier for the teacher and more expensive for parents but I guess that part is not such a big deal. When I was in school the supplies stayed in our desks in elementary school and so I really don't remember that there was such an epidemic of "lost" pencils or glue or whatever.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i don't mind..teachers need those things for the whole class. I'm not going to let them tell me "how much" to buy. But i will buy whatever is on the list and if i want i will take a few pencils or whatever out to keep at home.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• As a teacher communal supplies is EASIER. I keep scissors, glue, and pencils in class bins. When a student needs a supply, they can get it. I NEVER hear "I lost my pencil or scissors" anymore. Trust me, I heard that A LOT when I first started teaching, LOL. Keep in mind I teach the little ones.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I don't mind. I always buy a few more of everything anyway for kids that parents can't afford it, when I can anyway. Right now a lot of supplies are on sale, I got Crayola markers for $1 so I bought 4. Crayola crayons for $.25, scissors for $.75, pencils for $.89...ect. So I bought several of everything, some to send to school and some to keep at home.
    Kathy-PSPR

Answer by Kathy-PSPR at 4:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I hated it. When my daughter moved to a school using communal supplies we spent considerably more on supplies and had to send replacements much more frequently. I think communal supplies are treated with much less respect, and I see it as a missed opportunity for kids to learn to be responsible for keeping up with their own stuff. I can understand the teachers point of view, but as a parent I hated it.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I do understand it's easier for the teacher but it's kind of sad that my kid, who HATES school doesn't at least get to have the fun of picking out his own special stuff to use. Thats all.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The only things I have to buy this year are pencil cases and scissors (as well as kleenex). There's a latex allergy in my kids' school this year so I just have to send $40 for each of my boys. I'd be spending at least that much anyway, so not having to go out and try to buy everything is good with me. As far as communal supplies go - my kids haven't had that, but what I get back at the end of the school year isn't worth keeping for the most part. Markers are dried out, scissors are dull and broken, rulers are broken, there's really nothing we can reuse except maybe pencil cases and a binder or two. And with those, the kids would usually prefer to have new ones in whatever the newest style is. With the school buying the supplies they won't have that option, but everyone will have the same stuff.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• As a teacher I never did the community chest supplies. I agree that it teaches personal responsibility something severely lacking in many children (and adults) today. I'm from the school of thought that each child comes with their own supplies and they use them. The only exception to this was Kleenex, construction paper, copy paper and hand sanitizer. Thankfully, I homeschool my girls now and we don't have to worry about it at all.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• We don't do shared supplies & I am glad. I buy my girls what I want them to have.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I dont mind the shared supplies list the stuff is not even expensive anyway!I still get my girls a couple of folders with characters and character notebooks for their own personal use!
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2010