F-Bombs Away!

The FCC's indecency policy, which bars fleeting profanities and other indecency from the nation's airwaves, has been overturned by a federal court. In a surprise ruling, a three-judge panel in New York struck down the rule, calling it "unconstitutionally vague, creating a chilling effect that goes far beyond the fleeting expletives at issue here."

http://slatest.slate.com/id/2260380/entry/2/?gt1=38001

urkiddingright

Asked by urkiddingright at 4:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think the Supreme Court will do much with it, actually. They weren't able to do much with pornography.

I watch a lot of British television which has profanity fairly well laced through. It really doesn't trouble me at all. I find reality television far more disturbing.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:01 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Everyone knows that when a celebrity lets them loose it's "artistic expression," but to everyone else, it's just plain crude, and unnecessary! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I'm waiting to see how this will go - will the networks try to start throwing profanity in everything because they think that (and not better script writing) is why cable shows get better ratings, or will people tuning out be enough to kill those shows? Considering the ratings of things like Big Brother and Survivor, I'm sure it will be more of the former than the latter, but you never know.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• .
    Boy,it will be hard to watch TV if it gets any worse. Its already tacky enough
    .I am a "big kid" but I don't use the 'F' word. It doesn't make me happy, it doesn't make me feel "cool" and "with it:. It just makes me feel crass and gross and low-class.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I was thinking of Howard Stern too... I don't miss his show, it was a bit too vulgar -even for me. I could care less if they bleep it out or not, some people go way too far. I always lose interest when f-bombs become casual.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• What about the saturation factor? What is the point of profanity in the first place? For shock value, to make a point? if every other word is F, will F start meaning very little? IMO, after a time, people will tune it out.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I understand the whole "Freedom of Speech" stuff and I understand the "Change the channel" people, but when you are watching a sporting event with your family and this word pops out, it's offensive. For those people who comment that we should teach our children to use these words, that doesn't work for my autistic child.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

There was an episode of South Park when it first became a definite rule that cable is exempt from FCC rule - they did a show that had a counter in the bottom and kept track of how many times they said "shit" in a single episode. The whole point of the story was that by using the word they took away it's "power" and every time it lost power it helped build this giant monster that would destroy the universe. Unfortunately, I think the point of the episode (that just because you can say it doesn't mean you have to) was lost in the ratings blowout of having them use the word 162 times in 30 minutes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I believe in changing the channel or turning off the T.V or radio.

You give a word power by making a big deal.

I do not like Howard he is a pig, but he is making a lot of money, Why? I guess some people like to be offended.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• They can throw all of them they want. I turn the channel. If it gets to the point it is used on all channels, I turn off the tv. I have control over what goes into my head.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2010