1 st grade curriculum

Okay so they will be teaching about slavery and freedom this year. I am a little worried since my son has Asperger's he has no tack and sometimes is unclear on things and never ask for clarifications. He just assumes what he has in his head is right. I am extremely fearful that he is going to not get it and say something in public to someone and make them angry! I really really wish they would hold this off another year or two. Do you think I could have them pull my son out of the class during these lessons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you have an IEP? Can you conference with the teacher and explain your concerns? Outline clearly what seems to have worked i the past - in terms of recognizing what he is and is not getting. Be very clear about any methods that seem to make the best connection wtih your son. Ask to see the curriculm ahead of time. I understand your concern. Remember though that sometimes what seems so very complex to us because we've been there, done that and get the depth of it, ends up being a very high level concept in the classroom at this age. I seem to recall my son's 1st grade class touched on slavery and freedom around Presidents day (as they talked about Lincoln) BUT they didn't *really* get into the concept until they completely dove into Social Studies in 2nd grade...and even then it was still fairly high level compared to what will come later. Get to know EXACTLY what is going to be taught and work from that point.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Just make sure that he has an IEP and his teachers are aware of his disability.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would talk with the school about getting him an IEP.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2010