Making a commitment to being healthy!

For those of you who are overweight or unhealthy, have you made the commitment to make changes? Did you know that 90% of the top ten reasons we die are preventable? Who is ready to make the changes needed in their lives? If you say yes! then send me a message, I need support, my husband isn't ready and I suck at resisting temptation.

Cassarah

Asked by Cassarah at 4:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

You know what made me finally make a change, my son. He has a congenital heart defect as well as kidney issues. We are blessed that his prognosis is very good, but still it is scary getting there. I want to raise him on a totally heart healthy diet. I don't want him to grow up on the crap that I did. I don't want him to be 40 having to make a major life change for his heart health- I want a healthy diet to be a way of life for him from day 1.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 10:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• part of being ready is resisting temptation.
    if you do good all week, give yourself one cheat day to stay sane.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 7:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I've started little by little. I started exercising regularly and sticking with it this time ~ I feel much better, mentally & physically. I drink more water and to flavor it up and add some extra vitamins and minerals I add a Yoli Blast Cap several times a day. I am getting there on eating better, but that will come in time. I found that if I tried to do every last thing at once, I wouldn't stick with it. If I do it little by little and make one thing a habit before adding the next, it is much easier. Good luck and I know you can do it!!
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 8:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I appreciate the suggestions, but it's a "you can do it" type thing I was looking for. I've studied nutrition extensively and know exactly what works for me. I know what steps to take when. I "KNOW" all I need to know to be a healthy happy person. Just putting my knowledge to use is where I'm having a hard time. I drink a ton of water (I have a 52 oz water jug that I fill two to three times a day. A check in buddy would be nice. Hold each other accountable and all that jazz.
    Cassarah

Comment by Cassarah (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I joined a Fit and Healthy group on here and started a daily workout journal. This way, I am posting exactly what I am doing for everyone else to see ~ not just me. I have gotten lots of great feedback and motivation. I tried in the past keeping a log of my exercise, but didn't work when it was only me looking at it! I would highly recommend checking out some the groups!

And ~ I know you can do it!!
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 10:46 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Look into Juice Plus. It's the simplest thing you''ll find to help you improve your health. www.welovejuiceplus.com
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 1:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2010