Carbon Footprint

Do you believe that people are doing something morally wrong by having a lot of kids? Because it increases their carbon footprint?

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• No, I don't. I think it's a basic human right to have as many children as you'd like.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Why doesn't Al Gore and his cohorts get rid of their private jets and all but one of their homes and and we can have a small country worth of kids.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• No, but I do think it is morally wrong to have more children than you (and your spouse) have the skills, ability, interest and intention of supporting, raising, nurturing and role-modeling until adulthood.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• No, but I agree with Sesteract. For one, I don't buy the whole carbon footprint thing in the first place. For another, it seems to me that one of the most glaring misuses of resources is the meat and dairy industry, but as long as people eat like pigs we'll all keep living like animals!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• No, I don't. And I don't think it truly increases their carbon footprints that dramatically. Family with several children tend to hand down clothes and shoes and toys from one child to the next. They tend to buy used goods rather than new. They also tend to put more people into one vehicle when they drive somewhere.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

***
    EXCELLENT points, May!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• . They also tend to put more people into one vehicle when they drive somewhere.

In most states, you can only transport the # of individuals that can be safely secured in the car per the law. If you have an eight seater (seatbelt) car, you can only transport 8 people. You can not legally, transport more than that #. In addition, larger, heavier vehicles tend to have bigger engines which consume and burn more fuel-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• No, it's not morally wrong. As long as they can afford to support their children, it's fine with me.

Is it morally wrong for people to own numerous homes or mansions? Drive one person to a car when most cars hold 4+? Live in 3+ bedroom homes with only two people living there? Is it morally wrong to have air conditioning or to keep your heater at 72 in the winter? Take exotic vacations that fly them around the world? Own private jets?

I'd rather see more kids.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• No, I don't.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2010