If you were not a christain and you dont believe in God, but your children are really interested, would you support them?

cloud144

Asked by cloud144 at 1:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Of course I would support them. I think you will find that with most of us who follow "non-traditional" beliefs are more willing to be open to the possibilit of any faith at all in our children. Including extraordinary faith (such as becoming a nun or priest,) or no faith at all.

When you have had to live your entire adult life defending your faith, they very last thing in the world you want is to make your kids have to defend theirs to you. At least in my opinion...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 3:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• absolutely.

redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Yes. I believe that religion is a very personal choice, I would never make that choice for them. I would support any choice they made. I would probably go as well, to see what they were being exposed to (Just to make sure there wasn't anything scary, dangerous, illegal or weird, get to know the people they would be talking to).
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I believe in God, but in a non-traditional way. However, my 9 y/o daughter feels more at home in a Baptist church. She is very devout, reads her bible every day, prays before meals, wears spiritual jewelry, etc. I am very supportive of her decision, and have given her some of her religious books and things as gifts.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 6:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Of course. I would ALWAYS support them learning and expanding their minds and if that is the path that they choose to continue on then I would be happy. I may ask them what made them decide on it but that would be the extent of my questions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:26 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Yeah, I am not religious at all. But my 10 year old just got baptized this last Sunday. I support it.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 7:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Absolutely.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Already do...my kids attend a Christian daycare for afterschool (primarily because it is the ONLY place near our school to do afterschool care, but it is also the cheapest and I like what they teach--the non-Christian teachings htey get). Anyway, my oldest is very interested and has been going 2 times a week to church with the daycare director. She is 12 (my daughter, not the director lol). In fact, I teased her about not doing well on homework involving the Egyptian Gods (world mythology) and she said "but I am not pagan, remember."
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 8:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I believe in God but I don't believe in religion, my girls are very interested in going to Sundy school so I let them because it's their choice.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My children are individuals and while I am raising them without religion, it is up to them to live their own lives as they see fit when they are old enough.

As long as it is their choice and they weren't pushed into it and as long as they don't expect me to conform then I want them to do whatever makes them happy.

My 15 year old daughter is an Atheist by her own choice while my youngest is more Agnostic but she really doesn't care about such things at the moment.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2008