Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

doctors appt tomorrow!

So im 38 weeks pregnant and i have a doctors appt tomorrow early in the morning. im going to keep talking to my doctor about induction because im moving at the 1st of the month an hour away from where im at now.. i dont want to be induced but i dont see how im going to make it at the hospital on time.. how should i talk to my doctor about this? he doesnt induce unless there is a reason too which pisses me off but the 27th is my due date.

Answer Question

Asked by amanda202010 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 4 (50 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • IMO, and from what I know about induction, it's safer for you and baby to drive one hour to the hospital than to take on the risks inherent in induction. You're the mama and it's your decision, but if you're going to try to convince your doctor, be sure to do a lot of research and know what your talking about. If he refuses to induce you, good for him, I would say he's a great doctor. Not trying to be mean, it's just that there are a lot of doctors who will induce at the drop of a hat, for their own convenience, even though it's not best for baby.

    Answer by Adelicious at 5:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • well, its not like you are going to be able to move things. I would wait it out until your due date and ask if you have'nt made it by the time you've moved to be induced so you don't have to worry about driving so far

    Answer by shay1130 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • I lived an hour away from my doc. Why would you be pissed at a doctor that won't induce for anything other than medical reasons? That shows that he isn't willing to put you or the baby at risk for a completely unnecessary procedure. sorry but if you feel you cannot make it, call an ambulance. I wouldn't induce just for convienience.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • okay maybe i should not have asked this question. didnt know i would get rude replies.

    Comment by amanda202010 (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • I am not trying to be rude, sorry. I had an induction. It was because they thought she would be big. No other reason than that. She ended up being over 1 lb smaller than they estimated. If i would have known, i would have risked a c-section other than to be induced.

    The reason I say that you should wait is that my DD ended up in the NICU because she simply wasn't ready to come out at 39 weeks. She was severly jaundiced and was having problems keeping her O2 levels up.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • oh. well then i understand that. i just worried that if they wait too long something could happen to him.

    Comment by amanda202010 (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • I haven't seen anyone be rude they have just politely disagreed with you and so do I. An induction is something that should only be done for medical reasons since there are many possible complications that can come about from them. Labor isn't something that happens like on TV so when you start contractions then immediately head to the hospital if you are worried about not getting there in time. Both my labors lasted about 10 hours from the time the first contractions hit (or my water broke with first) till the babies were born and that is short on average. your body knows when to go into labor so the chances of something happening to the baby are VERY rare. How do you think women used to give birth before pitocin was invented? From the way I read that you are moving after your due date any way so why rush things?

    Answer by aeneva at 6:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • Im not rushing things.. and i dont really see why its a problem to want to be induced at 39 weeks. but yeahh.

    Comment by amanda202010 (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

  • well, i live 45 min away from the hospital i went to. i showed up full dilated and w/ my bag of water bulging. the drive wasn't all that fun, but i made it. and if i hadn't, that would've been fine too.
    i don't think that the reason you want to have an induction is a very good reason, IMO. i would wait. you can go at the first signs of labor to make sure you get there in time.
    the main reason why you don't want to be induced is bc you don't know exactly how far along you are. what the dr gives you is just an estimate and can be off by 2 wks.

    Answer by mommytobobby at 12:13 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

  • thats true but i can also be further along then they yeah. well thanks for yalls opinions.

    Comment by amanda202010 (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.