How did u potty train your boy WITHOUT the dad being around?

SouthernCharm04

Asked by SouthernCharm04 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The same way would a girl. I put my son in regular undies and whenever he wet his pants, I put him on the potty and told him this is where he had to go. I would also put him there at specific times during the day, such as as soon as he woke up and at bedtime and at times he would normally go. When he was older, I put Cheerios in the toliet and told him to aim at them. But at first, I had him sit down. It was easier for him that way until he could understand the whole stand for #1 and sit for #2.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am dealing with this too. My DH is deployed and DS is a visual learner so for now I am having him sit on the potty and tuck his business and close his legs. When DH comes home he will teach him to stand up but for now this is easier for me (especially in public restrooms).
    lovemytwo619

Answer by lovemytwo619 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My Dad was around and my brother was trained to sit first anyway, as were all my male cousins. I had asked this at a family picnic when my son was being potty trained and all my aunts said the same thing.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I assume you mean standing to pee?

I would have him stand on my toes, and tell him to "Point it down"... we also used cheerios floating in the potty for him to aim at. Boys naturally want to stand to pee- if you let them naked in the yard, they don't squat when they have to go, like we instinctively do. It's not complicated.
    Having mine sit to pee was a huge mistake, because they always forgot to point it down, and peed on the floor in front of the toilet!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I have potty trained 4 boys..everyone of them learned sitting down. They can learn to stand later. When teaching them to stand I used fruit loops toss one in, knees against the bowl aim for it. It isn't hard. My DH was deployed when 2 of them were trained.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Oh, and for public restrooms I ALWAYS have them stand on my toes, so they do not touch the potty, or literally hold them over it so they can aim down. lol I HATE public restrooms, and all of the things you can pick up in one! I wouldn't make a child sit on one of those seats if they didn't have to. My DD uses about 10 layers to TP before she sits. lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I taught my son to sit first...same as a girl. When he got a little older and everything was "under control", I used cheerios to "aim" for.
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 7:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2010