Has anyone else decided not to get an ultrasound?

I have read some negative feedback regarding this seemingly harmless practice, but I especially question it because it is relatively new medical technology. I feel somewhat alone in my decision, so wanted to know if there was anyone else with similar opinions.

tavczakbabe

Asked by tavczakbabe at 5:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No, you're far from alone!
    Most women in the world (through history and now-days) don't get ultrasounds with their prenatal care. It's not normal-natural.
    If you go to a practice that does them as routine (especially if they have their own machine/s) then you are more likely to have more exposure.

I never had any with my pregnancies because it's not standard care with the practice. They practice health & safety & informed choice as priority.

Women that have them frequently may not be aware of risks or detect anything, but they aren't perfectly harmless. Overall warnings suggest limiting exposure, even though individual practices might conveniently forget to.
    If there is an indication that an U/S is more helpful than harmful it can be worth it.
    But like with all unnecessary risks, women can weigh the risks before making a decision.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I haven't heard anything negative about it at all. And I enjoy being able to see my baby develop inside of me.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would recommend atleast one ultrasound around 20 weeks gestation, just to check the health of your baby and his/her organs. I have had multiple ultrasounds with all of my pregnancies, and all of my children are healthy so far in life.. I personally don't buy into the "harmful" effects.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The more educated about maternity care I become, the more angry I get.
    Technology (ultrasounds included) has not decreased risks and complications. It's getting worse.
    If moms want to be safest then limiting unnecessary risks is important.

If you're not angry then you're not paying attention.

If you don't know your options you don't have any.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am too old to bear children, but I don't think I would want one unless there was some medically indicated reason why it was necessary. To be honest, I had all my children before the new technology was invented, and I enjoyed not knowing the sex of the babies until they were born. I also enjoyed not knowing the exact date they were going to be born. I had them all naturally without intervention, and I am so thankful that I had that experience. I think today some of the joy of childbearing has been stolen from us because we can't just anticipate the arrival of our precious children. I have also read that it may not be the best idea to have ultrasounds.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I was doing some reading on it in my last pregnancy. I normally only allowed one for each of my children. I have read some things as well.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I was a nervous wreck until I had my first and saw my baby. But I haven't heard anything negative unless you have tons of them.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 5:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• NannyB - that is exactly how I feel. There is so much taken away from pregnancy through interventions of all kinds.
    My mother didn't have an ultrasound, but when I mention it around other mothers my age (27) they become judgmental as though I'm being irresponsible for not going to have one. It's nice to hear that there are others who share my insight into natural health.
    tavczakbabe

Comment by tavczakbabe (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• DH wanted to know the sex and I have read the articles about not having them and decided that one at 26 weeks (when my midwife wanted to do it to check development) wasn't that bad. I would have been happy without one though and not knowing. We knew when we conceived since I was charting and knew my ovulation date.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I have had two already personally if I could have one every day I would...I love being able to see my child it gives me peace of mind that he doing well and growing healthy....I would not be able to make it 9 months without seeing my child...but it is ultimately your decision and so long as you feel that there is no reason for it...then by all means do what you feel is good for your child
    lazo060109

Answer by lazo060109 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2010