How can I get my son to sleep during the night (not just through it, but at all!)?

My son is nearly 14 months and has been up all night lately. I know that he is teething and has been fighting 3 molars for the past month and a half, but he isn't in pain at night. We put him to bed by rocking him to sleep. When he wakes up in the night we can rock him for hours and he just lays there, clam, eyes closed, but awake. When we put him in the crib, he cries, and he just squirms around in the bed with us. He isn't hungry, I tried to give him milk and he just pushes it away. Any suggestions? His naps are normally an hour to an hour and a half twice a day, but since the sleeping has been out of wack, so have his naps. But they've gotten shorter, not longer! Help.

-tired tired momma

mr.Bsmomma

Asked by mr.Bsmomma at 5:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How do you know he isn't in pain from teething? My son is working on 4 molars, I don't know that he's in pain, but it's probably bothersome. He was also waking at night and I started giving him Motrin before he went to bed and teething tablets. He's now sleeping through the night again. Also, I used to lay my son on my chest and rock him to sleep, it started taking 45 minutes to an hour to get him to sleep. Eventually I just started putting him in his crib and letting him get himself to sleep and what a relief that was. I suddenly had a free hour at night and I didn't feel the anxiety of having to try and get him to sleep. The first few times he cried, but now he goes right to sleep and he sleeps through the night. You should try it, you might get a little more sleep at night. My son is 15 months by the way.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You're just going to have to let him work it out on his own. The less interference from you the better. I know it sounds mean but at a certain point...you don't do your kid's any good...they just have to learn how to go to sleep on their own. He's a smart cookie and knows he can get your attention at night and does a pretty good job of it too. If there is no attention from you, there is nothing to do but sleep. =) The less sleep he gets, the less sleep he'll get. Until you're back on track at night...there is no hope for daytime naps. Good Luck! (My daughter went through this around this age too...I think sometimes it is also that they're on the verge of a major breakthrough...like talking and they're wound up about it)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2010