Do you let your kids play in their food?

My 2 year old thinks food is meant to be an art project.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 5:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my kids were younger than 2 they would dig in with their hands and ended up "playing with it". Between 2 & 3 I started really teaching them how to use silverware with foods that were really messy and easy to pick up with forks/spoons. My 5 year old still at times uses her fingers and as long as we're at home I really don't have a big problem with it :)
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 5:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Yep. My son is almost 10 months old, and while sometimes I try to keep him clean, other times I put him in his diaper and get messy. It's a way for him to learn and have fun. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Sometimes, but she's constantly hungry, so that doesn't leave much food to play with. :)
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 5:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Nope. We use art stuff for playing. She plays with playdoh and paint, stuff like that.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• He has art stuff. Maybe he's just not getting enough of it. Or maybe he's just a future artist and can't get enough of it!
    fairyinabubble

Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I let my son play with his food....I figured any way he is being exposed to it is good and if he tastes it because of it, he can learn to like it.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• To a point. We're not filling the wading pool with mashed potatoes, but if he wants to pretend those carrot sticks are at war with the peas and eat all the losers to see who wins, good for him.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• when my son was under the age of 2, he played with his food but after the age of 3, that i taught him that food is meant to be eaten not played with.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• my son played with his food when he was younger. it does no harm to learn different textures. when i gave him aspoon he had great fun and eventually realised it helped get food into his mouth quicker
    shell394

Answer by shell394 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• When they're little, they're exploring everything. But now that my daughter is older? No, absolutely not. Mealtime is for eating, not playing.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2010