How do you cut a mango?

I love eating mangoes but every time I cut one I end up with a mess. Thank you for your advice.

mama10johnsons

Asked by mama10johnsons at 5:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• There's 2 ways.
    One is peeling the entire mango, and yeah, that does get a little messy.
    Another way is - with the peel on and mango washed and dried. You can cut it as close to the seed. Then, dice the mango - without actually slicing the skin as well. Meaning, make a checkered pattern into the flesh of the mango, with the peel in your palm - again, don't cut through the peel as well. Then, you invert the peel, and the checkered pieces pop up. You can either filet the pieces off, or just eat them off.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I've been making mango salsa like crazy this summer and by trial and error I found this to be the absolute best way....

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cut_a_mango/

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Slice lengthwise completely around the mango. It's going to take some wiggling, but you pull off half and then use a knife to pluck out the seed. Taking your knife, run cuts crisscross through each half, being careful not to cut through past the skin. Then invert and slice off each individual square.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Thank you! I'll have to give it a try soon!
    mama10johnsons

Comment by mama10johnsons (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Fresh magoes are WAY too much work; I buy them frozen (they mostly go in smoothies.)

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2010