How do I know I am feeding my 5 week old baby enough breastfeeding?

I have a 5 week old baby girl who I adore. I feel like I am feeding her enough but I am not sure. I know the rule about 6-8 wet diapers in a day. she is probably double that and has quite a few yellow seedy poops. this morning, I pumped and she took a 6 oz. bottle. 2 hours later she took another 3 oz. I would think that this is enough for her but she is always rooting around it seems looking for me to eat.
Does what I eat have anything to do with how satisfied she is?? Please give me honest answers from your experience. I don't need the stats. The doctor said she is extremely healthy and is in the 95% for her weight. Thanks for the help.

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 1:10 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your breasts feel "empty" after feeding, if your daughter burps well after each breast and if she seems content after feedings then she is getting plenty enough to eat.
    AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:15 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• it seems to me she is getting plenty dont forget that the boob is a huge comfort and bonding thing for babies so she may not be hungry she might just want comfort or some mommie time no worries hun the number of her diapers is good and her weight is good so dont stress
    motherofnikolai

Answer by motherofnikolai at 1:18 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• It seems like she is getting enough to eat. I think they go through a growth spurt at 6 weeks, so that may be why she seems to want more and is rooting more.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 1:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• You're doing all the right things, she's satisfied and healthy and lucky to have a Mommy that cares so much about her well-being.
    randomsoliloquy

Answer by randomsoliloquy at 3:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My dd did the same thing when she was brand new....always nursing, always rooting. She's also super healthy, in the 95th percentile for her weight. I finally figured out that every time she wanted to nurse, she wasn't hungry, she wanted to suck for comfort. We started giving her a binky. She still has more than 6-8 wet diapers, and she won't take the binky if she's not hungry.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• They also nurse for comfort and to help keep your supply up from direct stimulation. I recommend whenever possible nurse on demand and you will have a happy satisfied baby :O) GL!
    jabakasupergirl

Answer by jabakasupergirl at 9:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I think that the worse thing for me that I have learned the SECOND time around ( I have a six week old) is trust. You have to trust that your body will provide for your baby and confidence in yourself....I think that is just about as nessasary as a burp cloth or diapers!!! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I completely agree with all of the posts. When my daughter was this young, she would only nurse for like 5 mins each side. The nurses at the hospital told me 15 mins each side. I was so afraid that she was starving, but now she is a very healthy 5 1/2 month old. I guess I have a fast milk flow that would fill her up fast.
    jaysmommy007

Answer by jaysmommy007 at 11:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2008