I am 11 weeks pregnant..can i have a glass of red wine?? Would it harm the baby in any way?

Asked by hollyajenk at 6:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• "harm the baby in any way"
    Yes. BUT
    They don't know how much one glass a day/week/month actually harms babies. They DO not that alcoholics have deformed/delayed babies. it is a risk that you have to weigh. It is worth the possiblity? Some european cultures encourage pregnant women one small glass a day. American OBGYNS suggest none at all.

Answer by sapient at 7:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I would not be willing to take the chance. 9 months is not that long to go without drinking.

Answer by AKEllen at 7:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I wouldnt. its really risky.

Answer by SpiffyMom at 8:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Alcohol + Pregnancy = Bad Idea. Even if it's just one glass or a sip, you never know how it could affect the baby. I wouldn't risk it.

Answer by purvislets at 10:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I wouldn't chance it! I wouldn't take the slightest risk!

Answer by kwazylisa at 11:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• There are no really through studies on this so there is no real answer. But there is Fetal Alcohol Syndrome obviously that is a drastic situation but it does tell us that it alcohol does affect fetuses.

Answer by ilovemybananer at 11:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• find some non alcholic stuff.

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• there is no harm in occasionally having a glass of wine - it's standard in europe.

Answer by hiddenpoet at 12:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Is it really worth chancing??

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• It's not really worth it. They say a glass or so throughout the pregnancy won't really affect the baby. But keep in mind, that when you're tipsy, the baby has already passed out. They also say that one glass of wine a day throughout a pregnancy, has shown to lower the IQ of the baby, by several points.

Answer by noellesmama at 1:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2008