What do you make when family comes to visit

How do you tell them we are trying to save money and not go to restaraunts and that I cook every night.

jagrus

Asked by jagrus at 6:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Just out right tell them that you can't afford to go out to dinner every night. If they are family, there is no need to beat around the bush. At least I think so. And I would just cook whatever you cook normally or cook stuff you know they like.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 6:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My family knows that we're in the rough, though I usually like to fix Chicken Cordon Bleu when they come over and they love it.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Well, just like you said it. Be honest, I'm sure they will understand. Maybe give them a couple of option choices from food you already have or can go to the store and pick up that is in-expensive.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 6:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I do not know what they like they are from California and I never lived with them and they eat organically alot
    jagrus

Comment by jagrus (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• If you are worried about them arguing about going out, be prepared! Get up and put something in the crockpot early. Then they can't say no to staying in. Most people want to go out because they are worried about the amount of work their host has to go through to have them stay. If you make meals that are little to no work, then nobody feels like they are intruding.

My husband's family is coming tomorrow night, adding an extra six adults to dinner. I am making fajitas. I will cut all the veggies and marinate the beef and chicken in the morning and put the black beans in the crockpot. Then I will prep the corn salsa in the early afternoon. Then the only thing there is to do when they arrive is to grill the meat {hubbys job} and saute the veggies.

The key is to serve meals that are easy and no much work.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would straight up tell them eating out is not in your budget. I'm sure they will understand.

Prepare for a few family style meals like lasagna & salad or a roasted chicken dinner. Also stock up on fruit and veggies that are in season and serve snacks that are healthy and not too salty or fatty. They will appreciate what you have available and hopefully will treat you to a lunch or to restock your pantry. Have fun !
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Lasagna
    Chili
    Lentil tacos
    Home made pizza on the grill
    Quesadillas, refried beans, avocado salad

Answer by rkoloms at 6:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am with the others just tell them yall are eating at home these days and have meals planned.Many many years ago after college my sister and BIL took jobs that was next to a major beach resort town and friends visited on vacation in masses.Key here was this was not my sis and her family vacation and just bought a house and she became pregnant shortly after getting there.Neighbors explained you just have to tell people you can't eat out.Most were great and some that stayed several days would take over a meal buy the food and cook it.Some insisted on taking them out once, others went to eat on their own...no hard feelings.Only a few were irritated and they didn't come back.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 10:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I'm lazy so when it comes to cooking it's usually things prepared ahead of time. That way I don't have to spend all my time in the kitchen cooking and cleaning! lol
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I'd just be honest with them. As for things we fix: my DH makes some kick-hiney fajitas and we'll grill those; also we might have this great chicken-black bean enchilada casserole I found on a blog; my DH also makes a wonderful lasagna and well have that with homemade Italian bread. Another thing we enjoy that's easy - homemade Sloppy Joes with homemade hamburger buns. They are so good!! And we'll have either made from scratch cake or homemade cookies.
    ginger-mart

Answer by ginger-mart at 5:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2010