Ive been told how painful it is when you stop breastfeeding, what can I do to avoid this?

Is there any medicine I can take so that I stop making milk????/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Health

• I don't think there is away to avoid the discomfort. If there is then I wish I would of known when I stopped breastfeeding. lol! I just took warm showers and pumped like once a day to relieve the discomfort of the engorgement. I also heard you can put cabbage leaves on your breast for the discomfort too. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• wean urself off slowly. i always did that and never had any pain. i would cut out a feeding and then a few days cut out another so that way the baby adjusts slowly as well. it always took me about 2 weeks to do it, but i never had apin!
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 2:13 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I agree with kissmiss.  That's what I did and never had a problem.  The breasts work on a supply and demand basis.  If you gradually cut out one feeding at a time, your breasts will adjust and produce less milk.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I agree, NEVER had any pain, I BF both of my children, never hurt stopping,,,,
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I think the pain comes from when you stop abruptly. As long as you taper off slowly and let your milk supply decrease steadily you shouldn't experience pain. If you just decide one day you don't want to do it anymore and completely stop, your boobs will be so full they hurt and you could get a clogged duct. If you start to feel overly full while you're tapering off, you can pump some out.
    amandae21

Answer by amandae21 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• It does get uncomfortable when you've stopped breast feeding and you get engorged. There are a couple of things that you can help with this though. Wrap your breasts in an ace bandage. The pressure will help stop the production of milk. Also, you can try taking Sudafed, the regular stuff not the new over-the-counter stuff. It does wonders to dry you up. It dried my SIL up in less than a week.

Anonymous