is it ok to just stop breastfeeding cold turkey, and just give my son whole milk

nakiya411

Asked by nakiya411 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well besides hurting his feelings..:( you could get mastitus, ya know a breast infection, become horribly engorged...and have a fussy baby. mostly the pain will be on you, so i suggest dropping one feeding at a time.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 6:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You're supposed to drop one feeding a week, to avoid a breast infection like mywonderyears said. And if you've been nursing your son for 1-2 years of his life, I highly doubt he will allow you to just stop "cold turkey" without a fight. That would make him sad..
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 6:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Not to sound like a total BF nazi but why would you stop nursing your son in favor of giving him milk intended for baby cows? I think if you stopped cold turkey, you'd have at least a few days filled with crying. Another thing to take into consideration is your son's age. I'm pretty sure ped's don't recommend cow's milk children under one year old.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 6:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I had to gradually introduce my son to whole milk.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Ditto to what Nytefae said.
    3lilqts

Answer by 3lilqts at 6:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• nytefae.... this question is posted in the toddlers 1-2 category so i guess you just answered your own question....
    but anyway, take it from someone who has tried the cold turkey approach.... wean lol. drop one feeding for a week, then drop another one, and do it like that. stopping cold turkey hurt so bad and i was walking around with a bra full of icepacks for a few days. not fun!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• NO. You asked and I answered. You will cause him stress and possibly scar your relationship with him for life and also could cause yourself some horrible breast infections. If you really want to wean then drop one feeding a week saving the favorite (usually bed time) for last. personally my children self weaned and I think that is how it should be, but to each their own.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• ya thank you princessbeth79. my son is 14 months so i breastfed all they until today...
    nakiya411

Comment by nakiya411 (original poster) at 7:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Wow aeneva and nytefae are apparently the same person.....................either way...stop being ridiculous. It will NOT scar their relationship for life. He won't even remember breastfeeding.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• No. Until he chooses to stop without pressure, he still needs the human milk that was made specifically for him. Weaning happens on it's own gradually overtime. He's too young.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:57 AM on Jul. 15, 2010