weaning my toddler from the boob?

I am 14 weeks pregnant, and my daughter anna, which is 17 months is still nurcing, I have descided to wean her, my boobs hurt so bad, and there is really no milk coming out anymore. my daughter eats lots of different foods now, but i can not get her to drink any kind of milk from a cup, I have tried about every kind there is!!!! Just need some mommy advice. how did you wean your toddler?

ashcrash

Asked by ashcrash at 6:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I didn't wean my toddler while pregnant he weaned himself, but we don't NEED milk so don't fret over it. Make sure she is getting calcium and Vit D in other forms if she won't drink milk.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• She will likely naturally stop on her own since there is little milk there. You don't need to give her any other animal milk. She can get all the protein and fat she needs from table food. Just give her water in a cup for hydration.

Though, I've heard it said that sticking it out can help with the transition and introduction to a new sibling because you will have an added comfort and bonding measure that will help you avoid acting out and regression over feeling displaced and the soreness of early pregnancy may disipate soon.. Just something to think about.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• my kids have never been big on milk. once in a blue moon they will drink some chocolate milk but that's it. i give them their diary from yogurt and cheese. they just drink juice or water
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Try getting one of those sippy cups with a straw (not the ones that pull out of the cup, but one of the nice ones where you would have to remove the lid to get the straw out). Then fill it with something yummy (even warm milk would work), and let it sit in front of her. See what happens. Maybe it will work! My daughter was breastfed with an occasional bottle if I was gone (I'm a SAHM), and she went right from Mumma milk to straw sippies. Good luck!
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 7:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• thanks for the advise! yea am a sahm to, which i love. But she eats yogurt, and chesse, so I think she will be fine without milk to, its just hard because her doctor says she should be offered milk with every meal. she has gone a month with no night time feedings now, that was not that big of a deal, its the morning feedings i think will be a tuff one ;)
    ashcrash

Comment by ashcrash (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• We do soy milk because dd never did like cow milk. She's four and we still do soy milk or cow's milk. And a lot of cheese and yogurt. You should be find.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 7:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• OMGoodness. I'm such a nerd. I meant almond milk!
    PhoenixFire

• No personal experience but, I would bet she naturally weans herself.
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The only beverage that she needs is water

Answer by rkoloms at 9:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2010