Do you plan meals?

If you do, how far in advance? Do you have any tips for making planning easy (or not so tedious)?

firenicecream

Asked by firenicecream at 7:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• What I do is write out meal ideas, then write my grocery list from that. As I make a meal, I mark it off the list.
    Not strict planning but at least I know what can be made from my groceries.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Nope, we go day by day to the grocery store.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• LOL I tried planning meals ahead of time before and it didn't quite work. I came up with a 'menu', for 2 whole weeks; breakfast, lunch and dinner were all planned out. I knew I may not do everything on the days I said I would but at least this way I could find something to eat, you know? Yeah, it worked for like a couple of days. I will say it was easier to go shopping for groceries that time, though.
    Now, when I go grocery shopping, DH and I will sit down, think of a couple of things we know we're gonna for sure want to make and eat before the next shopping trip and write down what we'll need for that then add on the basics like peanut butter (I know some families don't do peanut butter, it's an example) and bread and veggies and fruits.
    Good luck!
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 7:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Somewhat. I usually plan my meal in the morning, so I have time to thaw the meat out.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I try to do two weeks in advance but it does not always work out.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Sometimes I do a few days in advance...and sometimes I figure it out that morning when I have to pull something out of the freezer to thaw for dinner,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I plan meals about 4-5 days at a time. I don't like grocery shopping so I plan ahead and that way I only have to go to store two times a week.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am obsessive about menu planning. I plan my meals usually for a month because we live in a small town and only get to the box store once a month maybe twice but I know for sure once. This is my blog where I discuss it. Here is my menu plan journal for the month that I keep here at CM

mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 8:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I plan out 6 dinners per week, just write a menu and make a grocery list. It takes about 15 minutes. Sometimes I do several weeks at once, just sit down with a stack of cookbooks and write them up. I do them in a notebook so I can reuse them if need be. I make a note of the month in the top right so I know which menus are summer menus and which are winter.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I do it for usually 3 - 4 weeks at a time. I have a HUGE list of things my family will eat (not picky eaters). The week before shopping I will go through my pantry/freezer/fridge and take inventory. Then I will pull as many meals out of that inventory as possible and add other meals as needed to make up 3 or 4 weeks' worth. I'll create a shopping list from that list of meals, crossing off what I already have on hand, and go shopping! This saves me a lot of grocery money! Last time I spent just under $200 for 4 weeks' worth of meals, paper products and soaps for 7 people. I've got my list started for the next 4 weeks and don't have the prices together yet but I do know it should be around $250.

I keep track of meal plans using the website www.mealsmatter.org. I also print them off and post it on my fridge so that I can see what I need to prepare ahead of time and so that my family doesn't nag me about what's for dinner.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010