What do you think of the proposed Montana sex education program?

They are in an uproar in MT over this proposal. It would start teaching kids sex education at the age of 5 and by the time they are 10 they would learn about sexual positions and "objects" that can be used. Personally I think that is too much information at that young of an age. What do you think?
http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/07/14/helena-montana-considers-sex-ed-for-kindergarteners/

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 7:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Here is the direct link the the PDF. The average age for a 5th grader is 10. At ten well discuss different sexual positions and at 11 we'll discuss the use of objects. Pg. 36 of the PDF shows how 5 year olds will be taught the different body parts.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think it's wrong. And I think parents who choose to be responsible for teaching their children about the "birds and the bees" should have the option to NOT have their children participate in the programs. Those parents who want the schools to continue to raise their children can opt in.

I mean, parents can already opt out of things like vaccinations and attending traditional school in lieu of home school and online charter/private schools, so why should this program be any different.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• "Parents are failing, it's not about the importance of sex, but the reality of it. Everyone does it, and it's becoming increasingly dangerous, our kids are NOT getting the knowledge they need from their parents. "

Really?  Everyone?  Including yourself?  Then how can you expect teachers to do a good job?  Those same teachers are PARENTS, who according to your statement, are failing to educate their own children about sex. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I just have to ask WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY????
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I disagree with the "parents are failing" attitude. Why don't we deal with the few that are failing, rather than make sweeping generalizations.

Some parents feed their kids crap, but we don't take away parent's right to feed their kids.  We don't need to give that responsibility to schools.  Some parents are distant, overworked, stressed-out, alcoholic, or have mental deficiencies.  All these things can be problems for a child, yet we still allow parents to parent. 

Not to mention, many teachers are far from perfect, and won't neccessarily a better job than the parents. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Look at the PDF from the school district, MKSers. Fox News didn't make this stuff up. It just happened to be the one that reported it.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Theses thoughts on this question might be helpful!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It is too young. Kids need their innocence.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think my children would not be attending that. It's my job and not the govt to teach my children about such things. Looking at my 10 year old son across the room, we just went over reproduction with him not long ago, in no way did we even NEED to mention positions. Why are sexual positions and that kind of activity vital to 10 year olds? They need to learn about their bodies yes, but that's taking it way too far. I realize there are some parents that don't do their job...which sucks even more for their kids when they have to go to school and learn this BS.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Def too young
    herstory50

Answer by herstory50 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2010