How do you do playdates w/kids that are always sick?

A really great friend of mine wants to do more playdates w/her two boys and mine. We usually hang out w/out the kids, but now I don't know. Her kids are always sick-either with a yucky cough or yucky nose. I know that kids get sick all the time but this is 24/7. My son "all of a sudden" got sick after being around the kids for the past two days. What am I supposed to say to her? I like her and her kids just not the sick part.

desertgurl02

Asked by desertgurl02 at 1:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• If i were u those play dates won't get mat.or keep disinfectants at hand, if u want to nice.
    LadyJay30

Answer by LadyJay30 at 1:51 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• THIS MIGHT SEEM KIND OF OLD SCHOOL BUT KIDS BUILD AMMUNITY TO COLDS AND STUFF BY BEING INTRODUCED TO THEM. I WOULD KEEP SOME OF THE PLAYDATES, YOU DONT WANT TO PURPOSELY KEEP THEM AROUND SICK KIDS, AND MAKE SURE TO WASH THEIR HANDS AND STUFF LIKE THAT. I DONT KNOW THEIR AGES, BUT IF THEY ARE NOT IN SCHOOL ALREADY, THEN THEY ARE GOING TO BE AROUND SICK KIDS ALL THE TIME ONCE THEY START. I KNOW IT IS HURTFUL TO WATCH YOUR CHILD HAVE A COLD, BUT I LET MY DAUGHTER BE AROUND KIDS WITH A COLD SOMETIMES SO THAT WHEN SHE DOES START SCHOOL SHE ITSNT OUT SICK ALL THE TIME. I WANT HER TO BUILD SOME ANTIBODIES NATURALLY. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION THOUGH.
    alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 2:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I agree with Alicia, if the kids are around it they will build up their immunity. I remember when we were kids if one of our friends had the chicken pox or the measles my mom would take us over to play with them in the hopes that we would catch it and get it over with, her plan backfired though because we never caught anything and I have been through two kids with the chicken pox and still have never gotten them.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Personally, I get ticked off when parents bring sick kids to playdates. They will get plenty of exposure to sickness throughout their lives, any time they are in a public situation. I personally wouldn't purposely and knowingly expose them to sick kids just so that they build immunity. If you friend's kids are sick, stay away. She shouldn't be offended. Offer to host the playdate when her kids are feeling better.
    Lovemy2girlsKK

Answer by Lovemy2girlsKK at 11:10 AM on Oct. 1, 2008