Healthy, cheap, quick food ideas??

I'm trying to loose my baby weight and am getting tired of eating salad and yogurt. I need some new ideas of things that are low in fat and calories. I don't have much time to prepare foods because I have my newborn and a 15 month old. I also don't have a ton of money to spend on food, I have enough but can't quite afford extravagant, organic types of food. If you have any good ideas I would appreciate your input =)

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 7:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I heard one of the movie stars talk about how they lost the weight eating a baked potato with cottage cheese and a little bit of meat on it. I really like that idea.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i am big into sandwiches and for breakfast i have been eating 2 thomas' 100 calorie bagels with 1 serving of whipped cream cheese and a sliced tomato on top. that is 280 calories and does not take long (unless your toaster is slow like mine lmao). i leave them open-face and it makes it look like more food lol. but it's sooo good :)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Make sure to include protein in your meals. It helps you feel fuller for longer. Chicken breasts are always a good meal. You can do just about anything you want with them. Make sure to eat plenty of veggies too. Fiber is good to feel full longer too.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Turkey chili. It costs about 5 bucks and makes plenty for a whole family or to freeze. 1 pound ground turkey (only a dollar if you get it from the freezer section), 1 can ro-tel tomatoes with green chiles, 1 can dices tomatoes, 1/2 can tomato paste, 1/2 pound dried back beans, 1/2 pound dried kidney beans. Season with chili powder, crushed red pepper, cayenne, black pepper, salt, garlic, paprika. It comes out better if you cook and drain the beans first.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Turkey and whatever you like(I like tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese, pickles, lettuce, a little ranch, turkey bacon) on wheat pita or rolled up in a tortilla shell.

Tuna salad sandwich or tuna on sliced tomatoes.

Omelette and fruit on the side.

Soup.

Scrambled eggs with whatever you like(I like mushrooms, cheese, turkey bacon and salsa) in a rolled up tortilla shell.

Homemade fruit smoothie so you can control the sugar added and you can make it whatever flavor you like.

Fruit salad and a side of yogurt or cheese and a few crackers.

I'm just throwing out a few things that I like to eat. Sorry if they don't sound good to ya. ;)

kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• That is funny because I eat the exact same thing for breakfast! lol except I add sea salt & ground pepper on top. I have recently lost 51 lbs. of baby weight (I put on 70) You must count calories (no more then 1500 a day) give up pop & processed food. I use my crock pot a lot-and throw in chicken breasts & salsa-cook on low all day-throw on top of a whole wheat tortilla. Dried beans are super cheap-throw them in a pot with chopped celery and cook overnight-makes a cheap, non fat filling meal. The key to eating healthy and losing weight is eliminating sugar & processed foods. You do not have to go organic. Buy cheaper vegi's & eat with a meat and a whole grain. Portion control is the key! Dr. Oz says 5-6 meals a day no bigger then your fist. No yogurt-sugar & dairy will make you gain and 2 tablespoons of Ceasar salad dressing is more fat then 2 pieces of pizza. Use balsamic vinegar for flavor. Good Luck!
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 8:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Eggs-scrambled, hard boiled, omelet with lots of vegetables
    Vegetable stir fry of add some meat or tofu
    Homemade Soups
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Oh, and small portions of fruit. A lot of people think it is O.K. t
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• o eat fruit but fruit is high in sugar and will make you gain if eatin in large amounts. Sugar turns to fat. Also, eggs are very high in fat. Eat egg whites only with maybe one yoke added to it for flavor. If you are going to eat cheese, eat mozzarella. It is lowest in fat. (my best friend is a personal trainer and I love sharing this info because I am excited about my weight loss)
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2010