Do I have a Bowel Obstruction?

My symptoms are constant constipation and nausea after eating for at least 1/2 hour.. I am not dehydrated. I drink a ton of water, eat fruits, vegi's & fiber and excersise a lot. All of a sudden, at the age age of 34, I have chronic constipation. Laxitives and stool softeners are not working. Should I get a colonscopy? Do you know anyone who this has happened to? What was it? I have had 2 x rays, the Dr. says you have constipation and I don't think it is anything more. O.K. Is it possible he could be wrong? It is so unusual it will not go away on double doses of Miralax and now double doses of milk of magnesia. It has been 6 weeks of this and I do not want to deal with it forever! help-this is terrible!

flowermom76

Asked by flowermom76 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Health

• Welcome, "It's your age". You will now experience things you used to laugh about in the past. Truthfully, it is. I started that too. I would simply start taking a stool softener at night before you go to bed. I don't think that sounds like an obstruction though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• yes, i think you should have a colonoscopy to see what is going on. that is definately not normal
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You should have a colonscopy.  I have crohn's disease and this is a symptom.   My intestines were so narrow that eating things like veggies, fruits and fiber were the worse things I could do.  It could be allot of different things, that's why you should have a colonoscopy.  Your bowels could be inflamed if you had an obstruction you probably wouldn't be typing a question right now.  You need to go to a gastroenterologist.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• great advice! :) I will see a specialist, until then it is nice to hear from real people on the subject.
    flowermom76

Comment by flowermom76 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Ma-vi that is great advice but stool softeners twice a day are not working. I have small poops and they are all day long. I always feel that I never completely empty myself-and due to my recent X rays I was right. This is such an embarrasing subject, but I need advice. I am switching Dr.s because I really mine is a moron.
    flowermom76

Comment by flowermom76 (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I don't think it sounds like a bowel obstruction, but it could be from many things. I would also recommend seeing a specialist. Sometimes having a lot of fiber will make you feel even worse if you're not pooping. The water should definitely be helping, but it sounds like it isn't. So, did the Miralax work at all? Or did it just work once, and then not help again? How long do you go between BM's? I would take a stool softener rather than a laxative, bc stool softeners don't cause cramping. Then again, I'm not a doctor. I agree that a colonoscopy sounds like your best bet. Have you lost or gained any weight? Are you on any medications, or do you take extra iron?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Ok, well you answered some of my questions before I saw your recent post to Ma-vi, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Great questions-weight loss from excersise but not in the last month 1/2, no meds :)
    flowermom76

Comment by flowermom76 (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My mom has had bowel obstructions. When you have one you can not pass any gas or feces.......absolutely none. It's also very painful with a hard lump in your stomach. Bowel obstructions also show up on x-rays, so if your doctor hasn't seen one then most likely that's not what you have.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• You know, it could be a fecal impaction, which isn't allowing you to fully go to the bathroom. Some poop may be able to get past it, but not all of it. These are the symptoms I found on a website

Abdominal cramping
    Frequent straining with passage of liquid
    Rectal bleeding
    Small, semi-formed stools
    Sudden, watery diarrhea in someone who has chronic constipation
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2010