Moms with lots of young kids:

How the heck do you keep your house clean!?
I just can't.. and it stressed me out! I have 4 girls.. 6, 5, 2, and 2 weeks. It doesn't matter how much I remind the older two not to throw their trash down or to pick up a toy after they're finished.. they don't. Are there any methods I could use to keep my house a little more organized?

MJ_BN_FE

Asked by MJ_BN_FE at 8:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• well all but the baby is definitely old enough to help you out. you could make them clean up their toys before dinnertime and then if they choose not to, they don't get dessert. i think it helps alot to give them responsibility that comes with consequences if they don't follow through with it. my 2yo is in charge of trash or putting things in the hamper. the 5yo is in charge of picking up toys and putting his dirty dishes in the dishwasher. i also have a 10 mo, but she can't do much but make a mess yet lol. but i will find a job for her when she is older. my boys know if the family room is not clean before dinner they will not get a treat afterwards. it has worked well so far lol.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Every couple of hours I have them stop what they are doing and make them clean up everything. I was harder when my baby was a newborn but, I got through it. They are getting better at cleaning. :) Good luck! My kids are 8, 6, 5, 4, 17 months.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Tell your husband/Fiance/boyfriend to get his ass in gear and help clean the house.
    Unless of course you're a single mom, then that's another story.

Tips are ... Crack down on the older girls. If they don't put that toy away, that toy gets taken away. If they don't throw their trash away they don't get any TV. Etc. Make sure they know there are consequences to everything they do. Make certain days for certain chores. The big chores like cleaning the bathroom, etc get their own day. The smaller chores can be broken up throughout the day. Your older two can also help out with chores. Whether you use allowence as their treat or just the simple satisfaction that they get to eat their next meal, they should help out.

I have a one year old, an eight month old, and a 10 week old puppy.. I don't know what clean is anymore.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010