Piercing Infants' Ears

Just wondered if anyone knew the age approved for piercing an infants ears? Some people say 3 months, some 6 months, some even say 6 weeks. I've even heard that you should wait until after the first one or two sets of vaccines. THANK YOU!

DAjZeZnLE

Asked by DAjZeZnLE at 8:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 10 weeks if they have had their 8 weeks shots. SOme peds will do them also.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i had my pediatrician do it at 3 months.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Whatever age you choose be sure to go to a sterile environment in a medical setting, NOT a booth at the mall or Wal-Mart! Piercing guns DO have backsplash, meaning you can get infected with something from them. They are not cleaned in an autoclave. The needle itself may be new but blood can splash back inside the part of the gun that holds the piercer. Never use those. Ask your pediatrician.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 8:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• i know you can have it done anytime but they say it is better if the have had 2 sets of shots. You can also ask your doctor because they can do it there. I was told 14k gold or surgical grade stainless steel because its less likely to cause irritation on the babies skin.
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It most likely depends on the ear piercing place themselves.
    However, I personally think it should be the child's choice as to whether they get holes in their ears or not.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• 12 years is a minimum age at most piercing parlors. If you want it done properly then wait till then. Piercing guns can cause serious damage (life long scarring or even something as simple as lopsided piercings) and lead to all manner of infections including a possibility of blood borne stuff like HIV. Why would you want to stab a hole in your baby's ears when they're so perfect as they are?
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• If ur going to do it while she is a infant then 3 months is the age that i did my daughters. But the choice is yours.
    caramellove1974

Answer by caramellove1974 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Talk to your peds. You should have them done by a doctor at that age. As the others stated having them done with a gun adds the risk or damage to the ear, infections and even serious illnesses like HIV. It's always safer to have piercings done by a professional piercer with a needle, but most professionals will not pierce a baby or a child under 12.

My personal opinion is you should wait til they are able to choose for themselves if they want their ears pierced... It's their body and it should be their choice... There are other ways to make a baby look cute that don't involve punching holes in them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I don't agree with piercing an infant either, but I will give you some information. Whatever your decision, whatever the age of the person being pierced, please, go to a licensed piercer that uses a needle rather then anywhere that uses a gun. Also, a reputable piercing place will not require proof of immunization. I took DD right before she turned 4, she'd been asking for almost a year and was aware of what was going to happen. I don't like piericing guns, I don't feel that they are safe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Sabrina, I was able to find a piercer, licensed, that used the needle and body jewelry and my DD was almost 4. The same place pierced the daughter of someone that I know and I believe she was 9 mo. It's possible, you just have to call around.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2010